Is is worth an extra US for fun for DH?

iVillage Member
Is is worth an extra US for fun for DH?
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 8:39am
Good Morning Ladies!!
DH deploys in a couple weeks, I'll be a day shy of 15 weeks when he leaves. There is another wife who is getting an extra ultrasound done (paying $80) so her DH can see baby and if baby cooperates, maybe seeing the sex. She's only a couple days ahead of me.
So my question is, do you think it'd be worth $80 to see baby before DH leaves and seeing if we can see the sex. I think it'd be really neat since DH will only get to see pictures at my 20 week us but I can't imagine the sex is really accurate at 14weeks...what do you ladies think? And would you go 2d or 3d? Can you do 3d so early?
Have a great Monday! Thanks for your thoughts!

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 9:29am

They say the prime time to do a #D ultrasound is between weeks 24 and 32 as teh baby is in a good position for viewing.

Photobucket Thanks to mom2emsopmax for the bea
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 11:32am
Thanks Natalie! I've never had a 3D before and wasn't sure if there was a time frame that was better than the other so I appreciate you letting me know. :)

Ultimately for fun sake, DH hasn't gotten to really see the baby and it might be a fun thing to do before he goes, even if baby doesn't cooperate and gender isn't really known. I'm also thinking of going crazy and taking one of those gender prediction kits too...just for fun! :) But ultimately, I know that we'll probably have to wait till July for the sex.

Thanks for the advice!

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 2:37pm
IMHO, I definitely think it would be worth the $80 for him to see the baby before he goes. I wouldn't rely on gender at 14/15 weeks, as they look very similar at this stage. 3D is a lot of fun but like Natalie said, 24-32 weeks is the range, with 28 weeks as the target timeframe.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers during this time of separation. Thank you and your family for your sacrifices and for your DH's service.

Tessa
Single Mom of 6 beautiful children and 3 angels........
CL to Single Moms, January 2010 Winter Wonders, and 2010 Playgroup Friends
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 3:12pm
Awe thanks Tessa!

You're right though, just for DH to see baby would be worth every penny! SO...I have my appointment set for next Wednesday evening. It'll be great because even though gender won't be a priority unless baby is playing show and tell, they will display the ultrasound on a large plasma TV and not only does DH get to be there, but the kids will get to see baby too! YAY! The nice thing is that if they don't see gender, I can come back for free in a couple weeks to try again! NICE! :D DH is super excited! So I'm thrilled. And than I figure maybe around the end, I can try and get a 3D scan and send the DVD to DH. A fun little surprise in the mail. :)

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 8:29pm
I am glad you decided to do it. I would have. I hope you husband doesn't have to be away for too long. Let us know how it goes.
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 9:02pm

I would defintaly do the 2D ultrasound for DH to see.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-17-2011 - 7:30am
We're getting one done in two weeks right before he deploys. I'll be 16 and a half weeks and we're doing 3D.. We've seen all our boys at about that time and they were very obviously boys. I'm interested to see a 3D u/s at that time because they look like little skinny aliens, lol..

Glad you planned it. John will also only be seeing the rest of this pregnancy and birth through photos so I think it's really nice for them. ya know?
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-17-2011 - 7:33am
I absolutely agree. :) Good luck with your ultrasound! I'm really looking forward to it! Not the deployment though ;)

Photobucket <a href="htt