Bed Rest Mommas

iVillage Member
Bed Rest Mommas
Wed, 08-31-2011 - 4:36pm

How far along are you?

What are your short term and long term goals for baby being born?

At what point is your doctor willing to safely deliver? Is it earlier than you expected?

How are you handling everything?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-31-2011 - 4:38pm
How far along are you?
26 weeks

What are your short term and long term goals for baby being born?
Short term, I need to make it to at least 30 weeks.
Long term, Thanksgiving.

At what point is your doctor willing to safely deliver? Is it earlier than you expected?
Just found out today that due to my body becoming so stressed out with the Procardia to stop the contractions my doctor is willing to take this baby as early as 30 weeks. I thought he was going to wait until at least 34 weeks.

How are you handling everything?
I am scared out of my mind!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-31-2011 - 9:49pm

How far along are you? 31 wks

What are your short term and long term goals for baby being born? Short term goal is 34 wks.. Long term I hope she stays put til 37 wks so i have a wk after bedrest to get things ready..

At what point is your doctor willing to safely deliver? Is it earlier than you expected? dr says wont stop labor after 34 wks

How are you handling everything? Losing my mind! Dh and i got into it yesterday cause of his lack of helping.. Tellin me hes tired.. ya i understand that but helping out a lil more than normal for a few wks wont kill ya! Think he understands cause today im very uncomfy!! I dont think men sometimes grasp the importness of why we are on bedrest in the first place

Photobucket

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-31-2011 - 9:51pm

What happened today? Ive onlyl had to take mine a few times.. Im more concerned about my cervix gettin too short and baby not growing right. But dr said i am high risk for PTL *shrug* just need a few more wks! Hate the possibility of leaving hospital without baby :(

Photobucket

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-31-2011 - 10:10pm
I'm 30 weeks.

I want to make it to 36 weeks minimum. The longer the better though!

I haven't had this discussion with my doctor. Bed rest is stopping the contractions so they did not give me the steroid shot they were considering doing this week.

I'm doing okay. I was depressed and overwhelmed at first, mainly just worrying about taking care of the house and kids. But after almost 2 weeks on bed rest, we are making out okay. Our nanny was willing to work part time, so she comes every afternoon. Disability pay basically cuts my take home pay in half, so we couldn't afford to keep her full time. Then DH has been doing dinner and dishes and bath time with the kids every night. In the mornings I just have to get the kids breakfast, then they play pretty well independently in the family room while I'm on the couch. Then we have lunch, and when the nanny comes she takes them out to parks, etc. so I can rest and they can burn off some energy.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-31-2011 - 10:11pm

What was the Procardia doing to your body? This is what I've been prescribed as well. I was told it might cause headaches, which I haven't had... I just hate having to take something every 4 hours and worry a lot about side effects to me and the baby.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-01-2011 - 3:40pm
I'm 29 weeks today.

Short term goal: Week by week, so 30 weeks
Long term goal: 34-35 weeks

I think at this point if anything happened they'd probably take the babies. When I got to the hospital at 26 weeks they just wanted me to make it 48 hours for the betamrthasone to kick in; from there the goal was 28 weeks. Now, every extra day we get is a bonus.

I'm doing ok, just can't believe I've been in the hospital 3 weeks already. The biggest disappointment is not being able to get things for the babies. It's bad enough that being admitted canceled our move and now I'll be living with family while DH deploys (we'll be living 500 miles apart prior to his deployment) but I don't get to nest. These are our first children and I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun things you get to do in preparation. I'm sure I'll be nesting when the babies are in the NICU, but my head won't be in it, it will be in the hospital. Sigh.
Photobucket Forever Missing Our Angels ~ May 2010 ~ August 2010 ~ October 2010 
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-02-2011 - 12:45pm
I was on the Procardia with my last pregnancy for about 12 weeks with no major side effects, but this time I have had all sorts of issues. My dose was increased 2 weeks ago to 20mg every 4 hours and after about a week I started getting the following side effects:
severe headaches
nausea and vomiting
dizzy spells
spots in my vision
diarrhea
heart racing
chest pain
upper abdominal/stomach pain that made it difficult to eat
severe fatigue (I've been having trouble staying awake more than an hour at a time)
swelling throughout my whole body
blood pressure dropping (it's down to 110/55)

I've never had any experiences like this before and the doctor is really concerned, especially with the dropping blood pressure.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-02-2011 - 12:52pm
I know what you mean about missing out on the nesting. With my first I was on strict bed rest (although luckily not hospitalized) from 31 - 36 weeks. I really did feel like I was missing out on a lot. With my second I was so busy working and going to school that I didn't get to experience that either. This time I have made sure to nest within reason. I've been doing a lot of online registering and shopping and sewing a lot. I just finished making my nursing pillow (there's a great pattern you can get for free online and you don't need much sewing experience to do it) and I'm getting ready to do the curtains. I'm also worried about the baby being in the NICU. I get 6 weeks after the baby is born and that is it before I have to be back at work. The last thing I want is to have to be at work while my baby is in the hospital. At least if she/he does come early the hospital is only a couple of miles from where I teach so I might even be able to go visit during my lunch break. Do you at least have internet access and a lap top at the hospital?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-02-2011 - 1:09pm
Hugs!! To my fellow bedresters!! Pretty soon babies will be here and all our hard work would be worth it!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-02-2011 - 1:16pm
Oh yes, I have my computer here (although I mainly check the boards from my phone anyway.) I've done my fair share of online shopping, mostly for clothes. DH brings me the packages whenever they come in so that at least brings a little excitement to my bedside. ;-)

Maternity leave always baffles me and I can't believe you only get 6 weeks. Can you stack on vacation/personal days or are those included in that timeframe?
Photobucket Forever Missing Our Angels ~ May 2010 ~ August 2010 ~ October 2010 

Pages