breastfeeding problems - and guilt to do it...

iVillage Member
breastfeeding problems - and guilt to do it...
Sun, 11-27-2011 - 2:24pm

hey new mommas!

brief background - i just had my 3rd and final baby - and my 3rd ds.

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-27-2011 - 7:12pm

I'm so sorry you are having difficulty, but i totally understand. DD was exclusively bottle fed, my DS had problems laching and my breasts had issues but he did get breastfed for 3 weeks, now with 3rd baby I too have been pumping do to lacthing issues again, its been 2 weeks for me and the pressure is great to breastfeed. I'm going to stop this week. I made the decision but i have been pumping. In my opinion 2 weeks of breasfeeding is better then 0 weeks of breastfeeding. Like you i have to return to work soon, I also have little support as far as breastfeeding goes. Also with other stresses going on in my life these days, i don't need anymore pressure on me from others.

Give yourself a break and the best way to be a good mother is to be a happy mother. You should enjoy your moments with the baby, and have positive experiences to look back on especially with the last baby. Good luck whatever you decide.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-29-2011 - 3:16pm
I think it is so sad that docs jump to telling moms to bottle feed. Hannah hadn't been to see the doc since her 1 week visit, and at 5.5 weeks I had to take her to the doc for an unrelated reason. But we discovered that she was just 1 oz over her birth weight at 5.5 weeks. So, either she lost even MORE weight than the 8 oz we knew of at her 1 week check, OR she was not gaining almost anything. She must be doing better now because when she was admitted to the hospital at 6 weeks she'd gained 6oz since 5.5 weeks. 1 method lactation consultants use is to weigh the breast fed infant before and after feedings on an infant scale. I know you can buy one, just not how much they cost. I hope your little guy will still nurse for you!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers