breastfeeding problems - and guilt to do it...

iVillage Member
breastfeeding problems - and guilt to do it...
Sun, 11-27-2011 - 2:24pm

hey new mommas!

brief background - i just had my 3rd and final baby - and my 3rd ds.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-29-2011 - 3:16pm
I think it is so sad that docs jump to telling moms to bottle feed. Hannah hadn't been to see the doc since her 1 week visit, and at 5.5 weeks I had to take her to the doc for an unrelated reason. But we discovered that she was just 1 oz over her birth weight at 5.5 weeks. So, either she lost even MORE weight than the 8 oz we knew of at her 1 week check, OR she was not gaining almost anything. She must be doing better now because when she was admitted to the hospital at 6 weeks she'd gained 6oz since 5.5 weeks. 1 method lactation consultants use is to weigh the breast fed infant before and after feedings on an infant scale. I know you can buy one, just not how much they cost. I hope your little guy will still nurse for you!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-27-2011 - 7:12pm

I'm so sorry you are having difficulty, but i totally understand. DD was exclusively bottle fed, my DS had problems laching and my breasts had issues but he did get breastfed for 3 weeks, now with 3rd baby I too have been pumping do to lacthing issues again, its been 2 weeks for me and the pressure is great to breastfeed. I'm going to stop this week. I made the decision but i have been pumping. In my opinion 2 weeks of breasfeeding is better then 0 weeks of breastfeeding. Like you i have to return to work soon, I also have little support as far as breastfeeding goes. Also with other stresses going on in my life these days, i don't need anymore pressure on me from others.

Give yourself a break and the best way to be a good mother is to be a happy mother. You should enjoy your moments with the baby, and have positive experiences to look back on especially with the last baby. Good luck whatever you decide.