Can I refuse an IV in me, during labor at the hospital?

iVillage Member
Can I refuse an IV in me, during labor at the hospital?
Wed, 07-13-2011 - 1:18am

Just wondering.

Dawn, DS-12, DD-10, DD-7, DD-5, DD-2, and EDD 11-11-11

Pages

iVillage Member
Hmmm goid question i can imagine theyd give u a hard time cause if sumthing happens and they need to give u sumthin or to cover thier own butts worth lookin into i guess

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

iVillage Member

Hi, I was just stopping by.

Me () -- 34 DH -- 37 Conceived DS naturally after almost 2 years TTC and one loss. Currently have been TTC #2 after 2 more years and two more losses. Recently found polyp in uterus. Scheduled for hysteroscopy and removal 6/2011..... Instead surprise
iVillage Member
i was wondering the same thing, my labor are so fast-within an hour and i have to wait for the iv to finsh before i can get up-i go without drugs so i can get up after labor.

mommy to

katelyn 14

randy 11

hannah 8

jacob 6

lydia 4

alayna -2

GWENDOLINN-11MONTHS

AND PRAYING FOR NUMBER 8-

iVillage Member
I agree with Krystal, it's typically hospital policy all the way around. You never know when an unexpected emergency is going to come up and it's better to have it in before it happens (especially if it takes a while for them to get it in) than for them to try and do it last minute and waste precious time trying to help you. They can definitely use smaller IV needles...both of my boys have very hard veins to find and establish an IV on so I understand how awful it is...I don't feel the pain and I see the tears. It's better to be safe than sorry. Good Luck!

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
I'm sure you can refuse but I'm not sure it's a good idea too. Those ivs do serve a purpose and are there for unexpected emergancies. Specially if you are a hard stick would you want them trying and retrying while your baby was in jeopardy( god forbid )
~JACKIE

MOMMY TO
~TRAVIS JAMES DEAN 12/6/06
~ALAINA NOELLE DEAN 6/30/09 EDD DEC 16TH
iVillage Member
I felt the same way with my sons labor and talked with my OB beforehand. She said they like to have it placed, but that they won't attach me to anything unless necessary. I never had any IV fluids or any drugs administered. You should talk to your OB and find out what the policy is, and if they could possibly place it somewhere other than your hand. I've heard of people getting them in their arm instead.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member

Stopping in from the dec board. I asked about this with my first bc I had no clue what labor would be like and if I'd want meds or not etc. They want you to have a port in place. You don't necessarily have to have anything hooked up to it. It's for what pp said, if you'd have any sort of emergency and they would have to give you something quickly in an emergency, so that's what I had done until I knew I wanted drugs, lol. Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Of course not.. It's your body and if you don't want one then don't get one... If you need one they will give it to you when it's needed.

If you really don't like having one just decline it until further notice which is totally acceptable..
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member

Thanks, everyone.

Dawn, DS-12, DD-10, DD-7, DD-5, DD-2, and EDD 11-11-11
iVillage Member

Every hospital is different.

Photobucket

Pages