The difference between BH and real contractions

iVillage Member
The difference between BH and real contractions
Tue, 08-30-2011 - 6:33pm
So what's the difference? I'm sitting here knowing I'm dehydrated because I didn't drink as much today as I usually do but the contractions are irratic but significant. If I went by the Drs, go in after 6 an hour, I'd be in within 30 min. As someone whose never had a real labor (induced) how do you tell the difference and at what point do you know it's time?

Photobucket <a href="htt

Pages

iVillage Member

Braxton hicks for me are more like a tightening or cramping that's just really uncomfortable. If I lay down and change positions...drink some water they go a away. I've had some that go for about an hour off an the stop. Later in my first pregnancy (like w/in a few weeks of my due date) they were more painful and occasionally made me stop and double over like a "charlie horse" type cramp in my all around my tummy. Real contractions (for me) were like really really bad period cramps all along the under side of my belly and often more to one side. I know its different for everyone...

Get hydrated! And try to rest...

If they keep going or start getting regular call your doc.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thanks Laura! I wanted another opinion on it. I drank 5 bottles of water so now I'm peeing every 5 minutes but I am thinking it may have been that. I usually have a bottle an hour but I think I went too long today because I was skyping with the hubby and than went to Walmart. Add the extra walking and boom, I was having a lot. It was the whole belly tightening and very uncomfortable. I just finished a shower and I feel a lot better so hopefully that was that. It's just hard to know and I always panic because I wonder, what the heck am I going to do with the kids!

Anyway, thanks!! :D

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member

Dehydration, stress, and on your feet too much...its like the trifecta of things that cause braxton hicks for me. So try rest my dear! And take a deep breath...this is all going to work out. Just think of the end result right now =) I bet this baby will wait until daddy gets home!

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I wish someone could explain to me, for my body, what the difference is.

Dawn, DS-12, DD-10, DD-7, DD-5, DD-2, and EDD 11-11-11
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-31-2011 - 10:25pm
I would've described it exactly as Laura did. Real labor contractions were much lower and hurt a lot more than BH. The BH never felt much like period cramps, more like my belly getting tight all over. BH will usually go away with lots of water and resting. I knew I needed to call my doctor when water and resting were not helping and I was still having contractions every 2-5 minutes.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Good Plan girls! Hope this helps some of the new Moms on here too because I remember wondering with my first as well! :)

Yesterday, I didn't do as much and I drank water like I usually do and I was okay by the evening. YES! So I know that it was human error on Tues...just too much walking around and not enough water. Never again! ;)

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member

Speaking from some experience with preterm labor, if you're having regular contractions, even if they don't hurt--you need to get checked (if getting your feet up and drinking lots of water don't do the trick first).

None of my contractions were painful when I went from 1 cm to 3 cm at 29/30 weeks with DS. The only tell-tale sign was that they were frequent and rhythmic. I had to get a whopping dose of magnesium to get them to stop, which was horrible (but thankfully he stayed in).

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thanks! :) All of this really helps answer my questions and concerns. I haven't had any since but I'm thinking that when I go in on the 15th to insist them at least check me just so I feel better.

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
I agree i was having what i thought was bh wasnt sure never had real labor contrax.. Ended up being in ptl.. Def worth getting checked..

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

Pages