Does anxiety/depression depend on the trimester? And what can I do about it?

iVillage Member
Does anxiety/depression depend on the trimester? And what can I do about it?
Tue, 06-14-2011 - 4:44pm

When I first became pregnant, I realized that a lot of things that used to bother me (social anxiety and mild depression) suddenly went away.

iVillage Member
I suffer from BPD and part of mine is major depression and social anxiety. Your hormones play a key role in the chemical levels in your brain. During pregnancy, this can elevate or deplete depending on how things are during each trimester. My suggestion to you is to go to your OB/GYN and talk to them about what is safe during pregnancy and what isn't. Also see if there are things that work with or without medication. I stopped medication when I was TTC and it was really hard. My DH is my sole key to all of it and unfortunately he's now deployed. I had quite a few episodes before he left. I'm in the process of preparing myself now that he's gone by seeing what I can do. Breathing techniques are key, I applaud you for the yoga. I like to concentrate on just my breathing for a good 5 minutes...in and out...in and out and I can usually calm myself down. But like I said, definitely talk to your Dr. Feel free to PM me anytime as well. I don't know what I can do to help but I know how it is to live with it everyday. Good Luck

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Thank you so much - it helps to know that someone at least understands what it's like. I will talk to my OBGYN tomorrow.

I'm off to go breathe...
iVillage Member
Your welcome! I definitely understand and it's debatable on what is worse...depression or social anxiety. One kind of feeds off the other in my opinion. Good luck and keep me posted.

Namaste! ;)

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
I had post partum anxiety after I stopped breast feeding my twins. It took awhile for me to realize what it was. I started having panic attacks when they were almost a year before I finally went to the dr and got on medication. I was taking an antidepressant and anti anxiety medication when I got pregnant with this little surprise. However, even with the medications I still had a lot of anxiety and occasional panic attacks. Then, when I found out I was pregnant I stopped my medication and have not had any anxiety at all. I guess the pregnancy hormones have made me more balanced and I have been fine. I am hoping that I will stay that way after this baby. Before the twins I had never had anxiety issues or panic attacks.

Breanna
Boy/girl twins, Ethan Neil and Gracyn Marie were born January 7, 2010!
iVillage Member
Well, I do have clinical depression. But I haven't noticed any relief or return from trimester to trimester, with any of my kids. If you don't like your therapist, you might want to take this opportunity to find a new one. I get post-partum depression pretty bad, so I don't know if I may be pre-disposed to having it because of my clinical depression. I've heard some people take medication, but I don't. Actually, I don't really do anything for it. I hope you keep feeling good!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
No kidding! I had a mini-panic attack talking with a friend today (that's what inspired the post), and that made me sad the whole rest of the day. They definitely go hand in hand.

Thanks, and I hope everything's well with you :).
iVillage Member
You're probably right... I'm just not sure if I'm justified in finding a new therapist when i'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is that far from normal. (I know it's not normal to have panic attacks, but they're just mini-attacks, haven't had a full-blown one in years. It's more the fear of actually having a full-blown attack that bothers me.) When I talk to therapists about my problems, I feel silly. I feel like they ought to be treating people who have real problems. And seeing my last therapist was just unpleasant, it was worse than seeing no one in some ways - I'd feel more depressed afterward than when I came in.

I guess I'll see if it keeps bothering me over the next week and then decide.
iVillage Member

My anxiety and depression actually get worse when I'm pregnant.

Dawn, DS-12, DD-10, DD-7, DD-5, DD-2, and EDD 11-11-11