Flu & Whooping Cough

iVillage Member
Flu & Whooping Cough
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 8:47pm

I know we talked about the flu shot, but I wanted to put this out there and get some opinions or see what you all are doing. My aunt (who is a nurse) recommended that anyone coming into contact with the babies be vaccinated against whooping cough and also have a flu shot. I have never had a flu shot but do plan on having one, and I will also receive the whooping cough vaccine post-partum. Out of curiosity, I spoke with the nurses here as well and they've said that it's not a bad idea for people to have both. After talking about whooping cough and researching it, I definitely want to be vaccinated against it...it just scares me. (There's been a big push here in CA about vaccinating against it...commercials are on all the time. And I'm not sure if this is just a local thing, but schools here are requiring all kids in grades 7-12 have the whooping cough vaccine otherwise they're not allowed to be in school.) We're already limiting the people who will be allowed into the NICU to immediate family only, and I don't want a revolving door of visitors at home until the babies are a little bigger and stronger, so I'm thinking my concern will only apply to a small number of people. Because they'll be preemies (even if "only" by 5 weeks), I know this increases the possibility of complications, especially as we enter sick season. My mom was vaccinated for both today, and my brother (who will be living with us) will be vaccinated.

At what point am I being overly paranoid? Would you request that anyone coming into contact with the babies be vaccinated? What is the most polite way to let people know that I prefer they be vaccinated before coming to visit?

Photobucket Forever Missing Our Angels ~ May 2010 ~ August 2010 ~ October 2010 

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 5:54am

"but doing this for myself will make me feel better."

Then that's exactly what you should do!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 6:51am
Well it's a Mom's thing to be overly paranoid. I get the flu shot every year with the kids because the military does offer it free and I was just told the other day when I went in for Rian's Drs. appt that I should definitely get it because it protects the baby as well. As far as the whooping cough goes, I never got the shot for my winter babies in the past, however, I asked Rian's Pediatrician about it when he suggested the flu shot and I was told that as long as the primary caregiiver, you, has it, that it doesn't need to be required by the rest of the family. As always, have everyone wash their hands before they handle baby and to be honest and let you know if they have any illness. Most people will do that anyway but some cave into the cuteness of the baby. :) I haven't talked to Jason about the whooping cough vaccine for himself but he usually goes with whatever the military offers. If they don't offer it, I'm not really sure whether he'll go out and get it. As I said, if I go by previous histories...I've had 3 newborns in the winter and all has been fine. I did, however, vaccinate all my babies with whatever vaccines were scheduled at each visit. Good Luck with your decision Kim. It's really up to you and I don't want to tell you how to parent. It's your job to protect the babies but if you were to ask me, I'd say as long as you're vaccinated and everyone sanatizes before coming in contact with them and stays away if they are sick, you should be okay. Good Luck darling!

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 6:56am
Just to add a little reading to your day... :) Here is Tricare's take on the vaccine....
http://www.tricare.mil/pressroom/news.aspx?fid=682

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 11:34am
I know it's ultimately up to me, I think my post was kind of a vent because I was just so confused and felt a bit alienated by DH. I ended up talking to DH and he has actually had the DTaP vaccine with his physical in June so he's even one step ahead of me! After we talked about it he understands my concerns. I'm really not an overly paranoid person (except for door handles...door handles are gross lol) I just think I'm feeling the pressure of worrying about their health. I'm definitely getting vaccinated for both and I know people in my family will be cognizant of their health status before coming over. I have family who wants to see me in the hospital but kids have sniffles or coughs, etc., and are staying away so I know everyone is aware. My concern the whole time has just been with having 3 who can share the good and bad, and having them early when I know they're more prone to issues. If I was having a singleton I'd still be concerned but probably not as much as I am. Preemies + multiples = an entirely different set of variables. It's just nice hearing I'm not completely crazy. lol
Photobucket Forever Missing Our Angels ~ May 2010 ~ August 2010 ~ October 2010 
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 11:40am

You can get the purtussis shot while pregnant and it will protect the baby. When my DD was a month old we thought she had it and she spend 5 days in isolation in the hospital while she was tested and then 2 weeks on a heart monitor just in case. It can be scary!

~JACKIE

MOMMY TO
~TRAVIS JAMES DEAN 12/6/06
~ALAINA NOELLE DEAN 6/30/09 EDD DEC 16TH
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 12:22pm
You're not crazy Kim! :) You're completely sane, you're just becoming a Mother!! :D

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 5:53pm
I really think it's a personal decision and there's no right/wrong answer.

My kids have had all of their vaccines except the flu shots. I'm kind of waiting to see if the schools push it this year. My son has asthma so they recommend it, but he's only ever had the vaccine once. I've only had the vaccine once in my life and don't plan to get it this year. DH won't get it. My DD had an egg allergy so she has never had the flu shot (they use egg whites while making the vaccine). I guess I'm just not convinced that the vaccines do much since it only protects against a few select strands of the virus. It's not going to guarantee that you won't get the flu.

My kids have been vaccinated for whooping cough as a part of their normal vaccine schedule. DH and I will not get it.

For us, we feel it's best to limit who has access to the baby and make sure that everyone washes their hands before holding her. Your situation is a lot different than ours, with 3 babies being born early and it's important to protect their lungs. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely consider getting the vaccines for us and the kids, but I personally don't feel that I could tell others who don't live with us that they have to get vaccinated.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 8:37am
Kim I think you should do what your instincts are telling you to.

When I had DS and read up on whooping cough I discovered that infants on our immunization program aren't fully covered against it until 18 mo. I asked all of DH and my parents, as well as our siblings, to get the shot . DH and I had it immediately, everyone else supported my wishes and paid for their shots. I did feel a little paranoid,but little babies can die from whooping cough and I wanted to eliminate that risk. Good Luck lhttp://forums.ivillage.com/t5/November-2011-Expecting-Club/ct-p/iv-prnov11n/interaction-style/forum
B, loving wife to L. Proud Mum to William Luke (22 months) and expecting Samuel James in November. >

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 12:57pm
I think you need to do what makes sense to you. If it relieves a little stress than do it.

I did not get the flu shot with DS1 and was forced to with DS2. This time around I chose to get it because I heard that it could benefit the baby for the first 6 months of life- right through flu season. I didn't do it for me. Nor will I get the whooping cough vaccine. My thoughts are that I have had 2 kids without it, why now?

I have only gotten 2 flu shots my entire life. The 2 mentioned here. A few months after getting the first shot, I had the worst case of the flu. I don't normally get sick. That is the only thing I am worried about now.
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 5:00pm
I won't weigh in too much because I have TOTALLY opposing views but your husband should NOT get the mist.. It is a live virus and no one with an infant under one should get it.. If he lets the corpsman or whomever is doing his vaccine know they will give him the shot.
 BabyFetus Ticker

Pages