Freakish pregnancy complication #1: I had hernia surgery!

iVillage Member
Freakish pregnancy complication #1: I had hernia surgery!
Mon, 05-30-2011 - 11:44am

So on Wednesday the 25th, I had my last day of work (I'm a teacher) and noticed pain in my belly button. I happened to look at it in the mirror and it looked bruised. Now THAT seemed odd, so I called the dr. The nurse said the dr thought it was just a broken blood vessell and to try ice. SO WRONG. No change by Friday so I called again, and they let me come in. I have had a hernia before (not there) and googled it some, so I knew what it could be. The dr immediately sent me to a surgeon. I cried so hard, thinking that this would be the end of my pregnancy if I had to have surgery and anesthesia. The surgeon saw me at 1 and said the dr should really have sent me straight to the ER because this was an encarcerated umbilical hernia that required urgent surgery. (insert more bawling my head off here) I had to leave his office and go directly to admitting in the hospital. I called my sister to watch out for my teenagers and called my husband to pack me a bag so I could stay overnight. More crying at admitting. Ugh.

Technically, I was only out for 15 min, but you know I'm still horrified that the babies brains are fried or something. With the holiday weekend, my surgeon didn't see me the next day, but sent his partner, who sent another guy, w ho knew nothing about me. My four OBGYN partners were all out of the office and sent a sub who also didn't know I was having twins. What a mess. They did listen to the heartbeats before and after surgery but I'm not reassured. I'm supposed to call the surgeon for a check up this week. Just really depressed :(

Becky - mom to dd 15 and ds 13
iVillage Member
Awe Becky! I'm really sorry you're going through this right now. I know it's super hard, but try and stay positive because it will not only help the twins but it'll help you heal faster. Keep faith and we'll keep you in our thoughts and I look forward to hearing great news next week at your check up! Good luck!!

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member

I just read this and I'm so sorry you had to go through all that.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I am so sorry you had to deal with surgery right now. How are you feeling now?
Photobucket
iVillage Member

So much better :) Thanks for asking :)

Becky - mom to dd 15 and ds 13