Group B strep

iVillage Member
Group B strep
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 12:28pm

Hey ladies!

I had a crappy 38 week appointment today! I found out my group b strep test was positive, which means I'll have to be on antibiotics during labor. I was hoping not to be hooked up to my IV at all, I wasn't with my son's birth.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 2:16pm
I had my son before my results came back so I had to be treated without knowing if I was positive or negative. For me, it was just an iv and I don't remember anything more than that. I know a couple ladies on our board were positive so hopefully they can answer your question better than me. :) Good luck!

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 2:52pm
I was GBS+ last time around and had to have an IV in the hospital. I didn't move around a lot during labor ( I wish I had, though) but with an IV, you should be able to get out of bed and walk around with the IV cart on wheels. Perhaps put this stipulation in writing and see if the nurses will allow you to do that. I don't see why it should be a problem. They shouldn't need to monitor you any more frequently because of being GBS+. I hope you get the labor you are wanting despite this. GL
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 5:36pm
I have GBS, and had it during my last pregnancy as well. To be honest, I don't even remember getting the antibiotics! That's how insignificant it was compared to everything else that was happening during L&D. I did have an IV, obviously, and I did labor in the bed but that was my own choice. I was in too much pain to walk around or do anything else.
Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 10:11pm
I was positive and just delivered my DD. You should be fine to move around with the iv and antibiotics. They will monitor baby more after delivery for signs of infections, especially if they don't get in both rounds of antibiotics as with my fast labor. It is very rare for baby to contract this any more.
Photobucket