Heart palpitations

iVillage Member
Heart palpitations
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 9:52am
Last night I was sitting on the couch and all of the sudden my heart started beating really fast. It only lasted a few seconds, but it really scared me. Then, afterwards I just didn't feel right for awhile. I can't really describe the feeling, but kind of a little light headed.

After my twins were born I hot post partum anxiety and had a few panic attacks. I was taking medication for anxiety until I got pregnant this time. Once I found out I was pregnant I stopped taking my anxiety medication and I haven't hadany problems with
anxiety at all. When I had anxiety before I would have heart palpitations and always be afraid I was going to have a heart attack. I had EKG and was checked by my pcp and he did not think their was anything wrong with my heart.

Last night the heart racing felt different, but then the familiar anxiety that I would have a heart attack came back. I know heart palpitations during pregnancy can be totally normal. I am just wondering whether I should be concerned or if I need to call my dr or wait two weeks until my next appointment?

Breanna
Boy/girl twins, Ethan Neil and Gracyn Marie were born January 7, 2010!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 1:56pm
They are common during pregnancy and I ended up mentioning them to my OB because I was having them several times a day and had the same feeling you just described. I've had issues with anxiety in the past but I really didn't think that was it. Since than, I've been wearing a heart monitor to watch them...21 long days! Blah! Anyway, I get to take it off on the 4th of July but since my DH has deployed, I haven't had any since...so now I'm thinking it was all anxiety related even though I didn't pick up on it at first. I called my OB the other day (in hopes to take it off) and he told me that if I had them with anxiety in the past that during pregnancy I am more prone to having them than someone who has never had them before. I still have to wear the monitor till I'm done but looks like that's what it was for me. I'd mention it at your next appt, just for peace of mind but that was just my experience. Good Luck!

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 2:06pm
I've experienced them off and on, and the first time was definitely very scary. I have hypertension so I wasn't sure if it was related to that or just another fun part of pregnancy. It's interesting that for you it could be related to anxiety as well because I haven't had any since I made my move a week ago...maybe they occurred more frequently because I was anticipating the chaos and being without DH for a couple of months. I think I'm also just more aware of everything happening with my body, so whether I had them before prenancy I truly don't know, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on it. For peace of mind, I'd probably call my dr anyway and have it be a topic of conversation at your next appt.
Photobucket Forever Missing Our Angels ~ May 2010 ~ August 2010 ~ October 2010 
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2011 - 10:34am

Hi Breanna! Heart palpitations are normal during pregnancy due to the increased blood volume. Being sure to stay hydrated is a really good way to keep them at bay - dehydration is a common cause, even in people who aren't pregnant. Personally fish oil (certified lead and mercury free, of course) helps keep them away for me.

Tracie, proud 1st time Mommy to Jake! "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future" - Oscar Wilde