methergine for bleeding?

iVillage Member
methergine for bleeding?
Tue, 11-22-2011 - 7:36pm

This is my 3rd child and after I had my last 2 kids I was back to normal in about a week. Tomorrow it will be 2 weeks and I'm still bleeding like a heavy period. I called my doctor today and she is putting me on an iron medication and methergine. I've never had to take these and I'm concerned about side effects. Anyone else having or had this issue?

She also wants me to call on Thanksgiving to let her know how I'm doing. That worries me a little.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-29-2011 - 11:13am
I was given the methergine immediately following delivery because i was bleeding so badly. I bled out during my first delivery and at 2 weeks postpartum with my second so my doctor had the methergine ready this time to give me right away if I showed even the slightest signs of hemorrage.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-23-2011 - 9:40pm
My dr has me on iron as well and I'm still bleeding 2 weeks later this time. With DS it took several weeks for the bleeding to stop so I'm not worried by it.
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-23-2011 - 9:51am
I don't know anything about the medications except I know that Iron sups can cause constipation. I too was done bleeding with the first baby in about 1 week, maybe less. This time going on week 3, not heavy but enough to be annoying. I hope you get some ans and try not to worry.