Need Contraction Advice ... Early Labor or BH?

iVillage Member
Need Contraction Advice ... Early Labor or BH?
Thu, 10-06-2011 - 9:11am
I need some advice...
So this isn't my first pregnancy. It's my 3rd. We have 1 son who is just over 2 and we lost an ectopic baby before this pregnancy. So I am not "new" to pregnancy BUT I have never been in "labor" so to speak. With both DS and this baby I had pre term labor at 30 & 29 weeks where I dilated to 2 cm but it was always controlled right away so I am lost about what's going on now and our son was delivered via C Section because he was a trans breech.
The reason I haven't called in yet is because I have had my steroid shots for babies lungs and they won't stop labor at this point we will just have him.
Anyway my questions is to those who have been thru labor does this sound anything like what happened at first or do you think it is just bad BH. Last night I was having contractions every 3-5 min from 6 to 9 when I fell asleep. They were from 30 to 45 seconds. My back hurt (and still does) I paused thru them but they weren't very painful just not they most pleasant.
This morning, I have had several already (no pattern or rhythm) and maybe a bit more uncomfortable but not much. Of course if they get worse I will call, go in etc. I was just curious if anyone had any insight for me as to if this could be "early labor" or just tons of BH. I do have a lot of pressure BUT have had that since I dilated to 2 cm at 29 weeks because this little guy is head way down.
I am 33 weeks today which I know is to early for baby to not need help but again, they have told me at this point it's better to deliver vrs be given the medications to stop or stall it for him. I am also in the hands of one of the best medical facilities (including nicu) in the country so I don't fear him being born early if it happens.
I have also clearly been resting, drinking tons the whole deal to try to keep things calm but again with a 2 year old I am not sure how "calm" things can be lol.
Any advice would be wonderful mama's & mama's to be!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
My Dr. says the best way to tell whether they are legitmate or not is that there will be a pattern to them. They won't be irregular. If you have taken a warm bath, drank at least 16oz. of water in an hour and laid on your left side for at least 2 hours and they haven't gone away, than it's best to stop by L&D to see if they are progressing you or not.

Try a warm bath if you haven't already and see if that helps things out a little. If you've done the other items, give them a call and get your Drs. opinion or make a stop. Good Luck!

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
i would call the dr. to see what they recommend...if i have more than 6 and hour for more than 2 hours in a row i go in....i had preterm birth with my first son, and ptl problems already...so i think i'm "hyper" sensitive...but it can't hurt...heck...they work for you! :) let them make the hard decisions:) good luck and keep us posted
iVillage Member
Oh I know they would make me come in which is why I asked. So I was having them every 5 min which is 12 an hour but again since they won't stop it I didn't want to drag a 2 year old in to L & D if it was "early labor"
The ptl started at 29 weeks with this guy & 30 with our first so I'm a ptl pro. I am not on bed rest or anything just been told to take it easy.
Anyway, I've started having them again (at least I've sat down long enough to pay attention to them so I have a feeling it's the start of labor but we will c.
I know everyone says "non regular contractions don't cause change" which is BS in my case because that's exactly what caused me to go from 0 to 2 in both pregnancies. So anyway, that's y I asked about early labor & regular contractions as I've never had them (until now) in either pregnancy & yet do infect change & go into ptl. My body is A** Backwards lol
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Good luck to you...if I went in for 6 in an hour, I might as well stay put from 29-40 weeks ;) I have 6 or more an hour every day. If you can't get a break though from the water, rest and bath, than it'll be worth going in but I know chasing a 2 year old makes that hard.

Photobucket <a href="htt