Reconsidering VBAC (personal stuff in here)

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-11-2009
Reconsidering VBAC (personal stuff in here)
Thu, 09-08-2011 - 5:47am

OK, here it goes. This same thing happened around this time with Connor, which is why I chose a c-section. Yes, I chose it. This post has some seriously personal things in it so please don't read if you're in a judging mood. :smileytongue:

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-02-2010
Thu, 09-08-2011 - 9:29am

Sorry you have so much to deal with mama!

With Jack our first we had pre term labor at 30 weeks. They were able to hold off labor until 39 weeks when I had a C because he was (from day 1 actually) a trans breech baby). We had the option to turn him but with the issues we had already like you I didn't care about me. My goal was a healthy baby and as long as he was happy and healthy I didn't care how he got here. I think some loose sight of that but that's another story lol.

My C was not at all bad. Jack was fine and happy from the start. Yes, it hurt BUT it paled in comparison to how I felt when holding the little one we tried so hard to have and were scared to death to loose early on.

The next summer (he was a fall baby) I was in a bikini looking great. My scar can't be seen and my stomach is (well was, being pregnant again not so much) back to it's cute flat self :)

Anyway, here I am 29 weeks with our baby boy #2 (Sam) and I have already set up the C Section. I don't feel like I am missing out on anything. Again, my goal is for a healthy baby NOT to go thru a "magical" moment. Yes, my hospital & Dr are ready willing and able to do a VBAC and IF I would go into labor prior to my C and Sam was ready (head down) to come I would VBAC but I have to say for me knowing the day was helpful. It was a goal for us since we had pre term labor. It in and of itself was a HUGE win for us. Faced with similar chances of PTL again November 18th is our goal with Sam...

Anyway, since we now have a son to think of, knowing who will be with him, when they will be here, when I will have Sam etc is very reassuring which is part of the reason I am fine with another C. Though our family isn't far we are left on edge waiting to see if PTL strikes again. Since PTL can only be stopped IF caught early we are at the mercy of my body and Sam to stay mellow until term.

If I were you I would go with a C because of the distance between family BUT that is just me. The spreading of anything though the chances are small would weight on me as well. I know C Sections have complications, ANY birth can have complications. Those who judge someone for making the best decision for them and THEIR family really bother me. It's your right to have that little man anyway you and your Dr.'s are ok with :)

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-20-2008
Thu, 09-08-2011 - 12:25pm
Sorry your going through all this indecision. While my situation is different, I can honestly say that, with no issues or comlications, I'm seriously considering changing my 100% VBAC into a C-section again just because I know what to expect, it's planned, and the small chance something bad will happen with a VBAC is scary to think about.

Hope you come to a decision you'll be happy with.
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-01-2009
Thu, 09-08-2011 - 4:35pm
I honestly don't have any advice either way nor btdt experience with giving birth one way or another, but echo what's been said about doing what's best for you and your family. This is about the health of you and your baby, go with your gut. I guess the best thing I can say, too, is try not Googling anything. I'm a hypocrite because I do it all the time, but trust that between you and your drs you'll come up with the best scenario.
Photobucket Forever Missing Our Angels ~ May 2010 ~ August 2010 ~ October 2010 
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-30-2004
Fri, 09-09-2011 - 4:32pm

I agree with evveryone else here, you do what you think is right for you and your family. You need to trust your instincts as a mom and im sure everything will turn out alright. No matter what you decided it could go good or bad... but since there is no way to know now, you just need to weight the pros and cons. I am second guessing myself as we speak about getting an epidural.... I hope things go well for you no matter what you chose... (BTW I would prolly go c-section, even though it might be more painful for me, I'd worry about the baby... and this from someone who is natural vaginal all the way lol!)

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-24-2011
Sat, 09-10-2011 - 4:33pm

I am not going to give you advice, because I don't think I am in expert on any way on this subject matter (I'm expecting my first). I do want to tell you thank you for sharing your story and good luck! I hope everything turns out great for you no matter what you decide to do!