Repeat C and VBAC mommas?

iVillage Member
Repeat C and VBAC mommas?
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 6:00pm

I know I have about 20wks to decided for sure but I really want to have all my ducks in a row for family, back-up plans, and pro's and cons for either decision. I had a vaginal birth with my first and a scheduled c-section with my second. My doctor assumed I'd do another scheduled c-section with this one but my hospital does support VBAC's. Here's a few catches, they won't induce if I go over, they will do another C, and two of the clinic doctors will do VBAC's, but one will not. So, the way the one doctor made it seem is that if I go into labor and come in and that one doctor is on call that day, then I'll have a C regardless. So, here are my questions. 1. If you don't mind sharing, why did you have a c-section? 2. What made you choose to have a repeat or try for a VBAC? 3.Have you ever had a vaginal birth?

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 9:53am
With my twins I had my daughter vaginally and then due to complications had my son via emergency c section. It was a very traumatic experience and the dr was not even sure if I was under yet but had to immediately take my son (thankfully I was). He was not breathing but had a faint heartbeat.

This time I have chosen a c-section. After my experience last time I just want a c-section so we get the baby out quickly and not via plan B. I had a bad episiotomy with my vaginal deliver due to them try to turn my son after he flipped positions when my daughter came out. Honestly, my recover from the vaginal delivery and episiotomy was much harder for me than the c-section portion. It was very painful to use try to have a bowel movement due to the episiotomy - that was the worst part pain wise of any of it.
Boy/girl twins, Ethan Neil and Gracyn Marie were born January 7, 2010!
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 10:00am

I think it's great that you're trying to plan, but remember the saying about best laid plans LOL....babies can sometimes throw a wrench in them!

With my first, I was sent to the hospital to be induced due to having dangerously low amniotic fluid (I was 41.5 weeks anyway), but I failed to progress and my DS's heart wasn't liking the contractions, so they took me in for a c-section after about 5 hours after starting to induce me.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 10:43am

I agree....babies are expert wrench throwers!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 1:57pm

I am having a csection I am too scared to death to have a Vbac! I have close friends who have had very very bad experiences with Vbacs... My csection wasnt that bad (it was emergecny C due to apendicitis) I threw up a little at the beginning was in a little pain for a while bt nothing that bad..Ive done it both ways def prefer my natural labors but for me Csection would just be better..

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 2:52pm

Thanks ladies! I'm about 70/30 with repeat C winning. I think I want a VBAC because I remember the recovery being easier. Then again, that was 4 1/2 yrs ago and my youngest is only 2. So maybe it's just that I remember his recovery more vividly! :) I don't want the stress of an emergency C if the VBAC attempt fails for any reason. I know that with scheduling one things can still happen earlier but I haven't even kind of gone early with my other two so that's not my biggest concern at the moment. I think the surprise of being in labor and just that unique experience of not knowing when you're going to push or how long it's going to take was so exciting to me. So I guess I want a VBAC more for me. :) I have some time to think it over and at my appt next week I'll ask when they would schedule it etc and decide after that. Thanks again ladies!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 11:57am

I'm planning my 4th VBAC. For me, vaginal birth, and recovery is worlds easier than a cesarean section.