Terrified of vomiting during labor!

iVillage Member
Terrified of vomiting during labor!
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 7:43pm
I am hoping some of you can help ease my mind! I am so afraid of getting sick during delivery, so much that I'm not worried about the pain at all! I didn't get sick when I had my daughter 8 years ago, but I see SO many stories of those who did, that I am now terrified! I am so worried about getting sick that I have lost the excitement of having a new baby! The doctor said that she would give me zofran in my IV, but I'm not convinced that will take care of it. I am being induced, so I will have an epidural and pitocin. I'm beside myself with fear! Please help!

Wendy
Wendy
3 failed ivf
1 failed donor ivf
4 previous miscarriages
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 8:51pm
Awe Wendy, I wish I could help. The epidural and pitocin can definitely cause nausua and in my case, I got sick with my 2nd. Luckily, it actually pushed him out. ;) No work, just one gag and there he was and I felt fine afterwards. :D It's perfectly normal to get sick and don't be afraid. Your Dr. seems to be very understanding and offering the zofran is a great idea. Best thing to do is just remember to breathe and this is just a small hiccup in the path to meeting your baby! :D

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 1:13pm

Don't be terrified! I'm not scaring you by saying this, but I threw up with BOTH of my kids just before they were delivered. They say it's verrrrry common during transition, aka I was just about to push them out. It was no big deal, they got me something to catch it and we finished our business of birthing the baby! I'm prepared for it to happen again. It actually helped to trigger the nurses to know it was go time. I hope you don't for your sake but please try not to worry one bit about it, your baby's birth will completely outweigh anything else!

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 2:09pm

Wendy - How are you doing?

----"Never give up on something that you can't stop thinking about every second of every day."----

Chris 

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-19-2011 - 11:33am

I've been induced with the epidural with half of my children, and I've never been nauseous during labor.

Dawn, DS-12, DD-10, DD-7, DD-5, DD-2, and EDD 11-11-11
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-20-2011 - 12:52am

I know that throwing up is horrible to go through, but it won't hurt you or your baby. If it were me, I would just keep telling myself that.

Also, my past 2 labors were quite different so you never know what to expect. Just go with it!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-23-2011 - 5:17pm
I puked several times lol but honestly once ur in labor will be least of ur worries im sure u will be fine

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-23-2011 - 5:47pm
Thank you for your responses, unfortunately I have a severe phobia of vomiting, so it won't be a simple thing for me. I've battled with it for 25 years and even a stomachache causes me to shake and has even made me pass out. The labor doesn't worry me.....I'll be induced with an epidural followed by them breaking my water, so vomiting IS my only real concern! I'll be so relieved when it is over and my boy is here.
Wendy
3 failed ivf
1 failed donor ivf
4 previous miscarriages
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-23-2011 - 6:10pm
Have you looked into a medition or hypnosis techinique? Or acupuncture? I'm sure there is something out there that might be able to help with your fear and usually a great "guru" can help. :)

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-23-2011 - 6:29pm

I was just like you. I had severe emetophobia that affected every aspect of my life. I hadn't thrown up in about 20 years and was scared of the unknown. You know how I finally overcame that fear. I finally threw up. It was the best thing that could have happened to me. Now if someone would have told me that before I would have wanted to kill them :smileywink:. It also helped that in my last pregnancy I threw up a lot. But, to put your mind at ease, I'm having my 5th child 11-17 and I have never thrown up during labor or even felt nauseous. Plus Zofran works really well if you should get nauseous. I took it during the first trimester for morning sickness.

ETA: I have also been induced with pitocin and had an epidural and didn't feel sick with those either!!!

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-23-2011 - 6:35pm
Thank you for your response, you have no idea how much it helped!! I threw up once 4 years ago when my daughter gave me the stomach flu, and after I did it I remember thinking that it wasn't so bad, but I went right back into the life consuming fear.....it is awful! I really appreciate you sharing your story. I took zofran and promethazine at the beginning of this pregnancy and it helped, so I'm helping it works during labor too! I'll be induced this week, so keep your fingers crossed!!
Wendy
3 failed ivf
1 failed donor ivf
4 previous miscarriages