too high?

iVillage Member
too high?
Tue, 09-20-2011 - 11:21am
So my nurse came to give me my shot today and my bp was 138/80. is that too high? she said it was but kinda blew it off. my bp has been normal till now.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-21-2011 - 9:52am
Thanks! I have my weekly doc appt today so ill see then. I was just laying on couch when she got here yesterday....by 34 weeks with my son i had high protien...they watched me closely till 38 weeks and induced me my bp was 159/99. Fingers crossed it was just a freak reading.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-21-2011 - 9:12am
I'm in agreement with Kim. A single reading of 138/80 is generally fine. If that bottom number had been above say 85 or 86 or up to 90 or more then it could be cause for concern, but then again, like the others have said, bp will fluctuate depending on activity, stress, and etc.

I had severe pre-e in my last pregnancy so I am a bp taking maniac. I know my regular bp, which runs a bit low, and if either number goes up by 15 or more, I start to freak - if it remains there. To be actually considered "high" it does need to be over 140/90 on consecutive readings. Elevated is something to watch, but if it remains elevated or high then it could be cause for concern.