Torn about induction

iVillage Member
Torn about induction
Sat, 10-15-2011 - 4:15pm

At my last appt (36 weeks) my DR told me that since I've already had a baby before, he would be willing to schedule an induction if I wanted it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 9:59am

Tammy - that must have been scary...I'm glad everything turned out ok in the end!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 7:19pm
Thanks for the info and support, ladies. I think I'm pretty much set on not inducing just for convenience's sake. We'll see if I feel the same way if I go almost a week late like last time. Ha!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 6:19pm

For me, 2 out of our 3 were induced. With DD#1 I was induced at 41 weeks, DD#2 came on her own at 41 weeks the day before she was to be induced. This time around I requested to be induced at 40 weeks as I was getting my tubes tied and my Dr. only has surgical privileges on certain days. If I had gone into labor on any day other than Monday of Tuesday I would have had to go back into the hospital at a later time to get the tubal. DS was bigger that both girls but did have a little fluid and a cough the 1st day. If I was not planning the surgery I would have waited at least another week to see if he would come on his own.

Miki

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 2:11pm
Very good point starsandspice. I've said this before, my 3rd was induced at 39 weeks and he spent 3 days in NICU because of his lungs. I figured at 39 weeks, it'd be fine but he was not ready and the Dr. agreed afterwards, in fact, it took A LOT to actually get me into full labor which is why pitocin was a nightmare for me. My 2nd child was 37 weeks when he decided to come on his own and he was perfectly fine. So good point about the lungs.

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 2:04pm
I guess I'll go against the grain here, but if it were me, I wouldn't induce. When the baby's lungs mature, they release a protein that induces labor. Inducing before then is probably ok, but can cause complications. Otoh, I have no idea the probability of those complications, could be that they're very rare and not worth worrying about. In my case, my baby's got enough going against him, so the doctors have advised me to wait and see - they'll only induce if he hangs in there too long.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-16-2011 - 7:10pm

Keep in mind this is just my opinion.... im all for induction and plan to ask to be induced this time around. With DS they wanted to induce me and we picked a day and time, DH was able to take off work as were my 2 other support people. They simply broke my water at 10am and by 4 pm and 3 pushes i had a beautiful baby boy.

~JACKIE

MOMMY TO
~TRAVIS JAMES DEAN 12/6/06
~ALAINA NOELLE DEAN 6/30/09 EDD DEC 16TH
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-15-2011 - 7:18pm
I'd find out from your Dr. on how he/she plans to induce you. I had a horrible induction with pitocin that was a complete nightmare. It was nice being able to plan when but how was terrible. I can understand your concern though. If DH isn't home in time, I have no one to watch my 3 kids or get me to and from the hospital. Anyway, point is, just get the details so you can make an informed decision. :) Good Luck

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-15-2011 - 6:54pm
I was induced with my second at 39 weeks and loved being able to plan and it was the easiest out of the four deliveries I had. I know a lot of people are against it but I say whatever you are comfortable with and what works best for your family.