When Should I?

iVillage Member
When Should I?
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 2:04pm

I won't be having a baby shower until October. When should I buy a bassinet/crib ? I don't want to not having anything ready for the baby until after my shower plus with the cost I will need to plan when to buy it. Any suggestions?

iVillage Member
In reply to: lola_b
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 2:31pm
Do you plan to have baby in your room and than move to a crib in his/her own room?

Bassinets are good but you don't use them long. I bought one of the co-sleepers that attached to the bed for one of my children which was inexpensive and made feeding easier. I also put a pack n play up for my last child rather than purchasing a basinett because I knew I'd use it when we traveled and more so it was well worth the money, not to mention, they come with "bassinett" attachments for the early weeks.

If you want the baby to sleep in your room, I would suggest going the pack n play route or co-sleeper before your shower and not worry about the crib until after baby arrives since it won't get much use. If you don't plan on having baby in your room right away, and I've done this option before, finding the crib you like is best and just using that the entire time.

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 2:48pm

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 2:52pm
I guess it depends if you need to order it or if you are picking one that's in stock at the store... I personally would skip the bassinet and invest in the crib. My son liked the bassinet and used it for 6 weeks. My daughter would never sleep in the bassinet and was in her crib from the beginning. I sold the bassinet and will only be using the crib this time. Plus we will set up a Pack & Play downstairs for naps and diaper changes.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 4:26pm

I agree, dont bother with a bassinet. If you are going to have the baby in your room like me, just get a pack'n'play with a bassinet attatchment. Our bedroom is downstairs and all kids upstairs, dh puts the kids to bed, they put thier own laundry away so I rarely go upstairs. We get the pnp with a bassinet and changer attachment becuase then I can change, feed and sleep as needed. We will prolly get another crib a few months after he is born, once he calms down with the eating...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 9:06pm
I really liked our bassinet. DD slept in it for her first 5-6 months. DS started in a pack n play. But our bedroom with DD was significantly smaller than it was with DS, so the pack n play was no longer an option because of space.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-27-2011 - 1:24pm
When I had my shower for Landon, I was given a bassinet. We bought a crib from my cousin, before the drop side cribs were recalled... so we still needed a new crib for this one (but my sil just bought us one for a gift). I would wait until after the shower, just in case someone gets you one.