Worried about heart beat irregularities - 20 week ultrasound tomorrow

iVillage Member
Worried about heart beat irregularities - 20 week ultrasound tomorrow
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 4:54pm

I've been renting a fetal doppler heart monitor since I was about 10 weeks. I use it on occasion to listen to the baby's heart beat.

iVillage Member

I haven't had any experience with irregularities, but with the dopplers, it's very easy to confuse the mother's hb with the baby's. Mom's is much slower, as I'm sure you know. it happened to me several times when I was hearing the music of my baby's heart, then she took off to get away from the doppler and I ended up either hearing mine right away or while I was trying to find her again.

Good luck on your u/s. Hopefully it was the darn doppler making you think your baby has the irregular beat :). Keep us posted!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I agree with Karen, maybe it's a combination of your heartbeat and the baby's. If the baby happens to move, you could be suddenly picking up your heartbeat without realizing it. They are squirmy little things. ;)

Hopefully all is okay with you and baby tomorrow. Keep us posted!

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member
I hope so, my original doc said that the doppler would drive me nuts. I have a love/hate relationship with it
iVillage Member
You're cute! I have never tried a doppler before. I figured there way no way I could figure it out myself. DH before he left used a stethoscope and SWORE he heard the baby's heartbeat. It was faster than mine but he's really articulate with things like that...I....heard nothing. LOL

Photobucket <a href="htt

iVillage Member

That happened to me with my doppler i assumed it was babys fading away then it targeting on my own.. Ive had several U/S including the anatomy one and my baby is fine.. I know its hard not worry but im sure U/S will show you baby's heart is ok :) Let us know how it goes!

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

iVillage Member

It seems like you are describing pretty wild swings that could be you hearing your heart beat when baby moves, but remember there are natural accelerations in babies heart rate.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fetal heartrates are supposed to have accelerations and decelerations.. If you ever are hooked up for monitoring you'll notice it more.. They worry when it is for a longer than normal period of time or NO accelerations or decelerations..

The first time I was hooked up for monitoring I about had a panic attack until they showed me the strip and it was totally normal and regular... it would be just fine and then jump up, then down..

Try not to worry too much!
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member

You've received great advice, just wanted to say that I hope all goes well today. I wanted a doppler, as did DH, until we found out there were 3 in there and that would just drive me nuts. :smileywink:

Photobucket Forever Missing Our Angels ~ May 2010 ~ August 2010 ~ October 2010