Any other extreme couponers? ;o)

iVillage Member
Any other extreme couponers? ;o)
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 10:10am

Because of being forced into downsizing (including from moving from a beautiful house toa duplex with horrible neighbors that are being evicted b/ of us, and me becoming a stay-at-home mom for the next couple of years, I've had to look at everyway I could to save money. My mother always did coupons when we were younger, but kind of fell out of it as we got older. We saw the extreme couponing show and we were hooked again! lol.

Angie DS Tyler James 04-02-01 DD Madison Leigh 08-08-06

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 10:16am

Oh and were expecting our third and final addition in September :O)

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 12:06pm

Actually Im glad you posted this..I too am addicted to couponing..I clip hundres of coupons a week and save myself loads of money..I once purchased 40 boxes of cereal for 10 dollars..LOL..It felt great..

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 12:34pm
I am trying to get it all started but it seems like I can't put together the scenarios together correctly. Its actually very frustrating to get all this started and always trying to seek out the best deals. If you have any suggestions that would be great!

~Jenn~

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 1:26pm

Yeah I've tried clipping coupons and such, but I never get anything for free or at an awesome deal. Maybe I'm not doing it right? LOL.

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 9:04pm

I use coupons ALL the time! I usually buy 3-4 papers on Sunday to get all my coupons and go from there! I have a binder that I use, but I need to reorganize it! I've never gotten anything for free, but I've gotten alot dirt cheap! I also dont stock pile like some of the crazy people on the show! I only buy things that we actually use and I definately make sure to check expiration dates! I do have shelves that I keep everything on and rotate them, and when I do that I recheck my expiration dates and donate whatever we wont use before it expires!

I also dont drive around to a bunch of different stores unless they are near where I'm going anyway! I have a Durango with a hemi engine and at $80 a pop to fill my tank, I definately consolidate my trips!

ETA: I live in FL and we dont have any stores that double coupons! It sucks, bc I think I could be way better at couponing if we had stores that double!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 11:45pm
I highly recommend finding coupon blogs for the stores you normally shop at and they'll show you scenarios until you can figure them out for yourself. Just today I was picking up free and nearly free items. :) I'm lucky that my mother sends me her coupons from the midwest because she doesn't use them and coupons can vary regionally, not just by brand, but by amounts.
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 7:58am

Where I live, the chains of grocery stores we have here do NOT double manufacturer coupons and they strictly enforce the sizes of the items on the coupons (for example, you can't use a coupon for $1.00 off a 16 oz bottle on a trial size bottle and thus get it for free).

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 8:41pm

I agree Joanie that some people just go beyond extreme!! I was walking out of CVS earlier today and I past a mom with her 4 kids all of which had coupon binders! I mean I have one and love it, but really why do your kids need them too?! I was happy I got what I went for and got the heck out of there before they hit the check out! (BTW, the kids looked to be between the ages of 8 and 13)

I will say tho, our grocery stores around here usually have pretty decent sales and I do stock up on some things then! I went grocery shopping yesterday and spent $109, but saved $80! And I had 2 rain checks for those Lysol No-Touch soap dispensers that they had on sale for buy 1 get 1 free, so I got 4 and then had 4 $3 off coupons so I ended up getting 4 of them for $12! (they retail here for $12 a piece!)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-30-2011 - 1:35am
Oh how I WISH I could figure out how to get stuff for free with couponing!!!!

We don't read the newspaper, and only GET the paper at all because they had a deal going on at the grocery store for an extremely discounted price PLUS gave us a gift card for the store :)

The store we shop at doubles coupons up to $1 which is super awesome. I try to cross check what is on sale. We only stock up on stuff we'll actually use.

The best day was when they had "Double Double Daze" - normally, on Wed & Sat they double 5 mfg coupons - on "Double Double Daze" they double up to 10! We took advantage of that and ended up spending $40 and saving $32! I was so proud of that!
I think on that same trip I may have gotten brownie mix for free as well... I had a store coupon and a mfg coupon and I think it ended up taking off more than the retail price! :D

I think taking the hording to the extreme is completely unethical as well. I guarantee that's what happened at my Target this week! I went in for a few things, including dishwasher detergent, I printed my coupon off from the net (because I guarantee it was in the Sunday paper we did NOT get last week due to an error by our delivery person!) and the shelf was cleared out! Target had them on sale for $10 and (the Finish Quantum BIG pack.)

I'm going to have to use the tip that someone posted of looking for sites that give coupon tips for the store you typically shop at! :D
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-06-2011 - 10:14am

Here are a couple of pointers. If anyone else has any feel free to join in. We obviously all have kids or will shortly and saving money is a great way to help out with our monthly budgets and I am always eager to learn new ways to save!

- The 1st thing I did was bookmark each of the local grocery/other stores I shop at. But I bookmark them after the spot where you find the closest store to you (usually after you locate your store then the next area you can go into is the weekly circular.) So that way all I have to do is click on that right away and I don't have to take all the extra steps of googling the store typing in zip etc.) My sisters and I also know when each of the stores circular/specials changes. Usually stores run them for a week at a time, but there are exceptions. When you pull up the circular though at the top of it the date of the circular should be clearly marked. For example we know our Giant stores specials run Friday -Thursday, our Safeway runs Wed-Tuesday, etc. You can find this information on the site or just by asking at the customer service desk when you are in next.

- We also don't limit ourselves to just grocery stores. We also include stores like Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS, etc. (Walmart and Target we usually just check randomly if we are there or if we are doing errands near there, though we usually don't get freebies there. The best we have gotten there is advil for free and bodywash for free.) So again you bookmark them as well.

- We condense the trips and when we do go we always hit up each store in that area (yes it can be time consuming but I also live 25-30 minutes from stores so when I'm there I check them all out and make the most of the trip/gas etc.) I literally will go through each circular, match up the coupon with the sale, and I write a list so I know what I am getting at each store to keep it organized. I put all of the coupons I am using in a seperate section of my coupon box (yes I have one of those but you can also start off with a coupon holder from Walmart for like 2 bucks) but I always ALWAYS take all of them with me b/c sometimes they have an awesome deal and its not in the circular. For example the had the welch's 64oz on sale if you bought 4 you got them for a 1.49 a piece. I had 50 cents off one, and they doubled so I got 8 of them for the price of what 1 is (paid 49 cents a piece). Since we all do them if we know of a good deal and we are heading to a particular area, we also pick up the other sister's items (we just give each other the money and the coupons ahead of time. but we live close to each other which helps out in that aspect.)

Pages