Anyone fighting with DH/SO over names?

iVillage Member
Anyone fighting with DH/SO over names?
Thu, 07-14-2011 - 9:08pm

I've been stressing out over names since the BFP, and my husband kept claiming it was too early to talk about it, yadda yadda yadda, but now, he's suddenly made demands about the naming of the baby:

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 8:28am

We are not fighting about it but there is no name yet.

~Jenn~

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 1:53pm

My DH is being a butthead about the whole naming thing too.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 3:46pm
I can't agree with mine on a name, although we are close. Mine also throws out absurd names for consideration (and refuses to discuss names early on).

I may have won my battle today though. One name on our list is a family name from my side (my g'ma, mother and myself all have it as our middle name and my g'ma uses it as her first)...I have had it with my g'ma and my mom lately...they've just been awful and today, through tears I told him the name is OFF THE TABLE. He is disappointed as it was his favorite, but I think he finally "gets" that I'm not budging on it.
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 10:16pm

OMG..if I were that far in the game without a name I think Id be in complete panic mod..My husband and I have always chosen a name before our big 20 week ultrasound so we an call the baby by his or her name..Ive pretty much named all three and he's agreed..if it was something he completely hated I'd have come up with something different but he doesnt seem to really hate any of the ones I had chosen..so little lady to be is to be named Autumn..I love it and always have..LOL..Good luck figuring it all out.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 12:40am
Yikes! I'm in a difficult boat with naming the baby, but not that bad!!!

My DH's issue is that nothing is "good enough" for his baby!!!
With our first it worked out because early on in the pregnancy I was reading off baby names and I mentioned Allison and he said "maybe" and I knew that was the best I was going to get, so I just kept calling her Allie and when she was 24 hours old he said "Yeah.... I think Allison is good enough for my little girl...."

This time is more frustrating because the only name he's said he likes (Charlotte) is a good enough name, but just doesn't FEEL right to me. I feel like it's gaining too much in popularity and I don't love any nicknames for it and I know a couple of people who have used the name (interestingly enough, I'd not met anyone with a child named Allison until after I had mine!) So.... I'm sitting here with almost NO name possibilities. We've agreed on a middle name (Viola for my grandma) assuming it goes well enough with the first name. But he hates all of my top choices for first names! We ALMOST had agreed on Ashlyn, except I said it aloud along with Allison and realized they're just TOO similar for me to be happy with. So... back to square one!

If I were you (and I really don't blame you for not wanting to name her Roberta!!!) I'd just tell him that you really are not a fan of the name for her first name, but you'd compromise and let him use it as the middle name.
Funny that he likes "old" names, but doesn't like Margaret! (I'm personally not a big fan of Margaret, but I LOVE Maggie!)

Good luck to you!!!
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 4:44am

It's funny you mention Charlotte because after we had our "conversation" (Haha!) about names, he came home that night and proposed a few more that seemed reasonable to me and Charlotte was among them.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 11:18pm
lol That is funny! I feel like we already have a Charlotte on the way in this group (Kate) plus I had a work friend name her DD Charlotte last year and I have another friend who, if she ever has a DD, wants to name her Charlotte and call her Lottie.

I figure we have to pick a name that's good as a full name and a nn because we named our first DD Allison, which I didn't completely love (I wanted Alexandra but that's a whole nother story! LOL), but I LOVE the nn Allie... but DH always calls her Allison. VERY rarely will he call her Allie.

I'm glad he's agreed to wait to "officially" name her though! That's helpful!
And I'd like to put in a good word for Caroline. It's a great name! There aren't many of us, it is "old fashioned" but also "classic" and "timeless" at least IMO!

Best of luck to you! (And me!!! LOL)
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011