BTDT Ladies- What do you wish you had known about labor/delivery?

iVillage Member
BTDT Ladies- What do you wish you had known about labor/delivery?
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 10:31am

BTDT ladies, what do you wish you'd known about labor/delivery before you experienced it for the first time? What advice or suggestions would you give to a first-time mama who's about to experience labor and delivery for the first time?

We asked our iVillage mamas to spill the dirt on their labor – and what they wish someone had clued them in on beforehand. Here’s their advice:

Take it From a

photo snowsiggy.png

Pages

iVillage Member

Photobucket
iVillage Member
"What happens in L&D stays in L&D." I like that.

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member

I agree with what Becca said!

I also wanted to add, that I really really wish I watched the birth of my son in the mirror! It really helps with pushing so you can actually see the process your making and you know they arent lying to you when they say your almost there!

Dont be afraid to ask for pain meds or whatever! The baby will be here with or without and that's all that matters!

I cant think of anything else right now, but if I do, I'll add it! :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member

My response may have a negative tone because I ended up with a c-section that I believe I really shouldn't have needed.

iVillage Member
1. When you are in labor the contractions will feel like the worst menstrual cramps you've ever experienced!

2. If you're afraid of needles, like I am, but you have low pain tolerance, the epidural is WORTH IT!!! I still get a dopey smile on my face when I think about the epidural and I look forward to having it again!

3. Don't let the nurses push you around, especially when it comes to breastfeeding. Stand up for yourself. If you want to breastfeed and the nurses are telling you that you need to give your baby a bottle and it has only been 1 day, stand up for yourself! I regret giving my baby a bottle because I now know that my baby didn't NEED more than the colostrum I was producing! Baby's tummy is soooo tiny at birth and moms milk may not come in for a few days - baby will be fine! (Also, get support from a LC if you're having trouble/concerned.)

4. The drugs may make you vomit. It's not that bad.

5. Have the mirror ready for when you're pushing. I'm told it helps and I asked for it too late and all of the mirrors were in use so I was SOL!

I could probably come up with more but DD is whining for a bedtime snack so we're off to the kitchen :)
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

iVillage Member

1) That everyone's tolerance of pain is different. Many people describe labor as the worst pain they've ever been in - for me it wasn't. Don't get me wrong, it REALLY hurt, but personally, the pain I experienced when I broke my leg was much worse (and I didn't get a baby out of that!) So I guess my point is, you don't know how you'll deal with the pain until you're actually in labor.

2) Even if you plan on getting an epidural, it's a good idea to at least have read up a little on natural ways of relieving the pain (breathing exercises, moving around, tubs, counter pressure on your back etc). You don't know how long it will take for them to get someone to do the epi for you and you don't want to be lying there screaming with no idea how to help yourself while you wait.

3) Don't listen to horror stories. Everyone's labor is different and just because your Mum/friend/co-worker/random person at the store was is labor for 4 days, pushed for 5 hours and ended up with a 3rd degree tear doesn't mean you will!

4) Don't worry about throwing up, pooping etc. Seriously, the nurses won't care and neither will you!

I'll try and think of some more later :)

iVillage Member

1) That everyone's tolerance of pain is different. Many people describe labor as the worst pain they've ever been in - for me it wasn't. Don't get me wrong, it REALLY hurt, but personally, the pain I experienced when I broke my leg was much worse (and I didn't get a baby out of that!) So I guess my point is, you don't know how you'll deal with the pain until you're actually in labor.

2) Even if you plan on getting an epidural, it's a good idea to at least have read up a little on natural ways of relieving the pain (breathing exercises, moving around, tubs, counter pressure on your back etc). You don't know how long it will take for them to get someone to do the epi for you and you don't want to be lying there screaming with no idea how to help yourself while you wait.

3) Don't listen to horror stories. Everyone's labor is different and just because your Mum/friend/co-worker/random person at the store was is labor for 4 days, pushed for 5 hours and ended up with a 3rd degree tear doesn't mean you will!

4) Don't worry about throwing up, pooping etc. Seriously, the nurses won't care and neither will you!

I'll try and think of some more later :)

iVillage Member

Mainly, to be open to whatever may happen. With my son we had a birth plan and none of it went to plan, none of it. You just have to go with what happens and be open to what happens and just make the best out of what happens if it's not what you'd hoped/planned for.

Also, I learned more with my second that I can tell them I don't want certain things (mainly for my baby, like the Hep B vaccine, pacifiers, bottles, etc).

Oh and if you decide you want pain relief, do not have any of the injectible drugs, they just make you loopy, dizzy, sick and sleepy, they do not really help with the pain.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I was reading a book on natural birthing and it mentioned that baths and showers will help soften up the tissues so that an episiotomy will be less likely.

~Jenn~

iVillage Member
Jenn - I had NO clue about the bath/shower thing softening the tissues!
It didn't help me (I soaked in the tub off and on for a couple of hours before I knew I was in active labor and going to the hospital.) :( But I think the vacuum may have played a roll in my 3rd degree muscle tears!!!
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

Pages