Bumpers?

iVillage Member
Bumpers?
Thu, 09-01-2011 - 6:47pm

Just wanted to see what your thoughts are on having the bumpers in the crib? We heard at our birthing class and I've read online that it increases the risk of SIDS. However, I have mine in the crib and plan on leaving it in there. I didn't spend 150 dollars on her crib set to leave out the bumpers! LoL When she's first born she's too young to roll to them, and by the time she can roll to them, they say they are able to turn their heads to breathe. Anyways, just wanted to get your thoughts on them and ask if you guys were using them?

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-01-2011 - 7:01pm
My thoughts are that they can blame SIDS on anything - and they will!!!!

I leave the bumper in and have the EXACT same thought pattern as you! When she's so little she won't be able to move into it. By the time that she CAN move into it, she'll be big enough to turn her head!

I think part of the concern is also airflow, but since we're having fall / winter babies I don't think that's a big deal either.

I used the bumpers that came with the set for my first daughter and will use the same ones for my 2nd daughter!

Oh, we took the bumpers out when she was big enough to use them to climb OUT of the crib! LOL
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-01-2011 - 7:15pm

I'm using the bumpers, too.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-01-2011 - 8:12pm

actually I won't even buy them..theyre such a waste of money..LOL..When I had my first child I had them and ended up not liking them because I couldnt see him in the middle of the night when i was laying in bed..I just bought sheets and a crib skirt..

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-01-2011 - 8:33pm
Totally agree about them being able to get away from them once they are mobile enough to get to them...that said, I believe it is airflow that is supposed to be the issue with respect to SIDS. When I was pregnant with my 3 year old a study was released that showed a significant reduction in SIDS for kids who were sleeping in rooms with fans, so if you have a ceiling fan or a small oscillating fan that you can run, you can solve the airflow problem (also the oscillating fan makes for great white noise to help baby sleep).
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-02-2011 - 3:20am
I used bumpers with both of my children and will with this one too (until they start using them to climb on). There really is no rhyme or reason with SIDS and until they can prove that xxx contributes to it, I don't always buy into all the warnings. I also let my kids tummy sleep and use blankets though (very bad mommy here). But if a baby can die from SIDS on their back with no blankets or bumpers then I don't see the correlation. Hope I don't live to regret it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-03-2011 - 1:10pm

Thanks everyone for your responses! I feel better =) I didn't even think about her using them to climb out haha! There is a ceiling fan in her room, so we will have that going! I'm pretty sure I'll let her tummy sleep, too. Especially if she sleeps better that way!