Delaying potty training??

iVillage Member
Delaying potty training??
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 11:56am

I have a 2.5 year old, who is not potty trained.

~Jenn~

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 12:00pm

I've never done it with a newborn but I would defiently put the potty where she can see it and encourage her to go for it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 12:45pm

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are. DD turned 2 in April and while my goal was to have her fully potty trained before Charlotte got here, it just aint gonna happen! She does have days where she wants to wear panties and goes pee on the potty, but I'm not really pushing her, and I feel like I"m constantly asking her if she has to go only to have her have an accident. DH is kinda mad that I'm not being alittle more pushy with the PTing, but it's hard and on his days off he's really no help with it either!

My other concern is that she may regress when Charlotte gets here. I'm hoping that when she sees that the baby is wearing diapers she will want to wear panties more and be more proactive about going potty! I guess we will see tho!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 1:26pm

I'm all for delaying potty training if kids aren't ready/willfully refuse.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 1:42pm

LOL, yes I know it is on their time, although wish it weren't

~Jenn~

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 1:44pm
If she's not ready, don't push it. At my DS's 3 year well visit, I talked to the pediatrician about this because he was absolutely NOT interested. She said not to push, and if he wasn't showing interest by August to let him go for a few months after the baby was born (I can't remember exactly how long she said. 3 months maybe?) Turns out about 2-3 weeks later he was finally interested and is pretty much completely pee trained. (Pooping on the potty is another story. Hopefully it will happen soon). She won't go to kindergarten in diapers, don't worry :)

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 1:49pm
I heard it's better to wait when you're that close because the introduction of a newborn/any major change can cause a potty learning setback. So with my son, I had wanted him potty trained by the time my daughter arrived, but he wasn't in to it, so we waited because I didn't want any setbacks when we did try.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 3:09pm

DD turned 3 a week before DS was born.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 3:39pm

DD is 26 months and we haven't even started potty training yet. As much as it would have been nice to have her trained by the time the new baby arrives, she's showing no signs of readiness (even my doctor agrees) so I've decided not to push it. If I started now and we had some success, she'd likely regress when LO gets here in September anyway. I'll wait a few more months and then reassess. Yes, it might be difficult potty training a toddler with a newborn around but there's nothing to be gained by stressing us both out when she's clearly not ready yet.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 4:26pm
I don't know that you can do much if she isn't interested.
That said, I only have one child, but did in home care for a 4 month old when my son was 16 months. ( He was poop trained at 16 months, pee trained at 19ish months and overnight trained at 26 months) It was a royal pain in the rear end to have a "potty training toddler" and a baby in the same house...it never failed that he needed to potty when the baby needed a bottle. I suspect though that with a child a bit older (like your 2.5 year old) it might not be quite so much effort because she'll be able to pull up and down her own pants and climb on the potty herself (things that mine couldn't do at 16 months--because he insisted on using the regular toilet and NOT a potty seat). Good luck! Potty training is just not fun is it?
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-21-2011 - 1:14am
The single most difficult thing about parenting, in my opinion, is potty training!!! We've been working with our DD for well over a year now.

We bought her first potty chair back when she was probably about 2 1/2 and she was not interested at all. Which was fine. We kept it around and didn't start pressing her on it until she was older. I want to say the time she started to be REALLY interested was when she began spending more time around kids her own age. When they used the potty, SHE wanted to use the potty! Before we knew it, she was going pee in the potty all the time. She even started to poop in the potty.

Here we are at age 4 and we've gone from basically fully potty trained (she's never had a night accident - just the occasional day accident because she was too "busy" to go potty) to having 2 pee accidents and 2 poop accidents today alone! The past few months have been a battle. I got to the point where I took some advice from some ladies here in this group and put her back in pullups. She didn't like wearing "diapers" and being treated like a baby so as soon as she started going poop in the potty again she got to go back to big girl underwear. I don't know if it's the "threat" of the new baby or what.

Anyway, my point is, don't force her. When she's ready she'll let you know. And you can always use the timer. We used the timer for a long time. Every 15 minutes it was time to try and if she went she got a "potty cookie" or piece of candy. Right now we're doing a sticker chart - each time she goes poop on the potty she gets a sticker and is one step closer to a prize.
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

Pages