DH's mom request was too much since I'm heavily pregnant!

iVillage Member
DH's mom request was too much since I'm heavily pregnant!
Mon, 09-12-2011 - 12:41pm
0 Posts 8 hours ago - last edited 12-09-2011 09:33 Hello, I would like your opinion on this one. I'm 38 weeks pregnant and just waiting for my beautiful baby to come out. I feel very tired at this point and avoid to leave the house unless is with my DH. Yesterday after lunch we went to my DH's uncle's home to spend a few time with family and enjoy a bit of the swimming pool, since it's wonderful for me to be inside water and don't feel my weight! My DH's mother was also there as well as another uncle and we enjoyed a few time together. Then around 6pm that uncle was going to leave and asked my DH's mom if she wanted a car lift home (she doesn't drive or have a driving licence) since her home is on his way. She said no thanks. Then around 7pm I asked my DH if we could head home as well since I was getting really tired and we still have to drive home. When we were preparing to leave, his mom asked us if we could take her home since her sister (the owner of the house) picked her up and so she didn't want to bother her again... my DH didn't know what to say and I just said "I'm sorry but not today, I'm heavily pregnant and very tired". And her sister said she doesn't mind to take her home. My DH's mom was shocked with me saying no but in reality I'm the one who's shocked with her request! Yes, in the past we picked her home and took her home frequently, but this is not a normal situation now! Also, we live on the opposite part of the city and her home is not on our way home. Also, I think that when my DH's uncle left and asked her if she wanted for him to took her home and she said no, she should have asked me or my DH if we can take her home later or not. I didn't like that she didn't do this and then asked us to take her home when we were leaving, in front of everyone. It sounds like doing a little pressure to me and I don't like it. Also, her sister doesn't work or have any responsibilities, she can easily take her home. And there was still another third uncle in the house that could take her home as well! It's easier for them to take my DH's mom home that it is for me and my DH. And I don't like to feel like an object you know? Like everyone pretends to be interested in me but they're really interested in the baby only, and they do these kind of things not giving a damn to how I feel like at this stage. I think that I should be the one being shocked and sad not her! My DH totally understood me and it made sense to him, but later that day his aunt called him saying his mom was hurt... no comments! I would like to hear your opinion about this one please, thank you!
iVillage Member
Hi there,

I'm sorry that you had such a disappointing experience with your mother-in-law. I think that sometimes people forget what it is like to be very pregnant and just not feeling your best. I hope you've been able to talk to her and smooth things over. Let us know how things are now!

photo snowsiggy.png