Frustrated over a med free birth-Any suggestions

iVillage Member
Frustrated over a med free birth-Any suggestions
Wed, 07-13-2011 - 12:05pm

This is my fourth baby, and since the beginning I have wanted this last one to be med free.

~Jenn~

iVillage Member

Is your DR/CNM on board with you having a med-free birth? If so, I would probably stay with them and do the hospital route. The nurses cant force any meds or the epi on you and you can create a detailed birth plan that states you want a med-free birth and dont want the pain meds and epi offered. Alot of the birthing process tho depends on the nurse you get as well! I would definately let them know when you go into labor that you are planning on going med-free and you want a supportive nurse of this!

As for the birthing center, is it covered under your insurance? I know my insurance wont cover a birth at a birthing center. If you've got your heart set on the birthing center make sure your DH goes and just tell him to have an open mind until then. They can give you all kinds of info and probably ratio's of how many successful births they have their vs how many they have to transfer to the hospital! I dont really see any difference in birthing at a birthing center vs a hospital, besides the med's!

Have you had easy labor's before? Has he told you what his biggest fears/worries are for birthing at the birthing center vs hospital? I hope you guys can get everything figured out soon!! ((HUGS))

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Right now I am with an office, with many docs, some of whom I haven't met yet.

~Jenn~

iVillage Member

Im delivering at a hospital affiliated birth center..I have with both my previous pregnancies as well..My first child was so hard on me I had and epidural and didnt regret it..my second son..there was just no time..But during the first birth..my docs were supportive of me trying natural birth and encouraged it as much as possible..I actually had to ask several times for the epidural because they kept telling me 10 more minutes and maybe I'd change m mind..LOL..I didnt..But my second birth was so much easier..You might find if you stay at the hospital affliated birth center your wishes will still be heard..but if you don't think that will happen go ahead and let our concerns be known and go about finding someone new...

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member

Oh..we have the same duedate too..LOL..Just noticed

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member

I had a med free birth in a hospital and it was a great experience. Nobody even offered me meds and everyone was really supportive. So it is possible, but I guess it does depend a lot on your hospital. Please remember that even if your hospital/nurse/doctor/whoever isn't particularly supportive of unmed birth, it is still your decision whether you choose to have meds, move around during labor, be continuously monitored etc. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! If you *do* end up delivering in a hospital, it is a good idea to have a birth plan so your caregivers know your wishes. You can also labor at home for as long as possible - when I had my unmed birth, I was 6 cm dilated by the time we got to the hospital.

Why does your DH think you may be putting your health or the baby's health at risk by delivering in a birth centre? Midwives are not yahoos - they are highly trained professionals. In the event that there was serious risk to either your health or the baby's that they didn't think they could deal with, then you would be transferred to a hospital.

As for the doula issue, I think it is important that you have someone supportive of your choices with you during the birth. If you are experiencing intense contractions, then you are not always in the best position to advocate for yourself and it is useful to have someone prepared to do it for you. In my case, my DH was my birth partner and I have to say, he was awesome. He was well prepared since he had attended natural childbirth classes with me and really helped me with my breathing and applying counter pressure to my back etc. You still have a couple of months until you deliver - is it possible you and your DH could attend a natural childbirth class together?

Good luck! If you have any more questions about an unmed hospital birth, I'm happy to answer them.

iVillage Member
I too am planing an no med as natural as possible birth. I switched to a MW latter in the game, no big deal. Find your doula as soon as possible. You will want to met here a few times so you are comfortable with her. If you do not change doctors, and do not find a doula and have to deliver in the hospital please understand that you have the right to do as you want!!!! In that case I would stay home as long as possible, at least until it is really hard to work through the contractions. Once there do not lay in bed!!!! If they want to monitor you stay sitting!! Ask to sit on the birth ball or a rocker, or just use the side of the bed! Make sure you, or dh, ask you a nurse that is pro natural birth! Have dh dime the lghts as soon as you get there and place a sign on the door that says PLEASE DO NOT OFFER PAIN MEDS!!!! Do not let them check your cervix, you will know when its time to push and dont need to feel like you are making little progress. Give the nurses a copy of your birth plan that you have gone over well with your doctor! I would keep it short and to the point! If you plan on delaying the cord cutting make sure the nurse knows to ask before they take baby to do all the baby stuff. If at anytime you feel like you need to run away or recollect yourself go into the bathroom! Most of the time they will not bother you in there!
A med free birth in the hospital is possible it is a lot more work on your support person. Just let DH know what he is in for and make him very prepared to be your advocate! After knowing what a big job he would have there he may be more ready to go to the birth center where he can be relaxed and enjoy the birth more! The best way is really with a doula, with a midwife, out of the hospital but if you want it you will make it work anywhere!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
It's not too late to switch dr's/midwives if the practice you are currently with isn't going to be supportive. Hopefully your DH will understand more and be more comfortable after you tour the birthing center. Good luck!