Gluten free and pregnant? Anyone have advice...HELP!

iVillage Member
Gluten free and pregnant? Anyone have advice...HELP!
Sun, 05-15-2011 - 2:14pm

well ladies..after a lot of denial and and much resistance on my part Ive finally come to the conclusion thats its best to follow docs orders and stick to a gluten free diet..My celiac screen came back positive little over a yr ago but I denied that wheat and gluten were harming me at all but now being pregnant I'm finding my energy in short supply anyway and spend much of my time feeling cruddy..I don't even know where to start with this..I know there are lots of prepackaged foods that are gluten free and that most whole foods can be prepared to not contain gluten but I"m so not a cook...I grew up on homestyle cooking and thats not particularly healthy either.I do love my fruits and veggies so no problem there..but what do I do when the irresistable craving for a hamburger rears its ugly head? Anyone out there following a gluten free diet I could really use your help..Thanks in advance.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member

Im not much help! Theres a market I go to in Austin thats nothing BUT guletin free.. so that helps to go ahead and buyt he guletin free then try to mix them together. Also there are resturants.. that are gluetin free.. So if the hamburger craving does happen find one of them. over seas ALL mcdonalds are guletin free.. so hopefully that trend will spread over here SOON!. I wish I was much help..but there are some things to look forward 2

iVillage Member

Im not much help! Theres a market I go to in Austin thats nothing BUT guletin free.. so that helps to go ahead and buyt he guletin free then try to mix them together. Also there are resturants.. that are gluetin free.. So if the hamburger craving does happen find one of them. over seas ALL mcdonalds are guletin free.. so hopefully that trend will spread over here SOON!. I wish I was much help..but there are some things to look forward 2

iVillage Member

My twin sister just found out she has celiac's as well, so she's all gluten free now too! What she does if we're out somewhere is order whatever without bread or get a salad without croutons, if they dont have something else or a gluten free menu. There's also some kind of bread that she buys, I think the brand is called Utz's, but not 100% sure, so she uses this as well. The gluten free pre-packaged foods are considerably more money too, tho. They have gluten free bisquick here to make pancakes and stuff tho! She gets alot of her gluten free pre-packaged meals from like whole foods stores and health food stores as well! I can get some of her recipes as well if you want! I honestly couldnt imagine having to go gluten free as I am a total bread freak! I hope you can find some good alternatives in the mean time and let me know about the recipes!! (BTW, they are all simple ones, bc it's just her that's gluten free and she has 6yo twins!)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Hi there,

I wanted to share a link with you to the Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diets board here on iVillage. The board is a great place to get tips and support on how to live a gluten-free diet. I'm sure the ladies there would love to hear from you!

Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diets- http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/Celiac-Disease-Gluten-Free-Diets/ct-p/iv-bhceliac?ice=iv:mb:msg:kp

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member

Udi'S..I actually have that..its the best gluten free bread I could find..LOL..and I do know that chebe's makes some good mixes that work well for burger buns and such..I made a great gluten free pizza last night that hte whole fam loves..My husband actually requests the gluten free crust now when we make home made pizza..LOL

BabyFruit Ticker