Good lord! What is wrong with people?

iVillage Member
Good lord! What is wrong with people?
Thu, 06-09-2011 - 4:08pm

So, a friend on facebook recently posted something detailing the "horrors" of circumsizing infant boys. Personally, my son is not circumsized and I think the decision is up to the parents. In a comment on this post, someone compared circumsizing male infants to female genital mutilation in Africa. When I said I thought that was going overboard and alittle nuts, I got jumped on by a bunch of people saying that they are equally horrible things and I'm just so wrong. Then, the chick went so far as to tell me that I should I need to let my son choose for himself. Not thoughtfully suggest that, but TELL ME TO do it.

Am I nuts here? Did I miss the boat or something? When did circumsizing baby boys become the equivilant of the graphic horrors that girls go through in gentital mutiliation in Africa? Have I completely lost my mind? What is wrong with people?

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-09-2011 - 4:22pm
Uggh, don't even get me started. I would love it if people could give their viewpoint without making it seem like the 'other side' is filled with barbaric animals. I can't even begin to imagine who thought comparing the removal of a woman's clitoris is remotely like removing foreskin. It's insulting. Our son is being circumcised because of religious/cultural views. The constant accusation that circumcision is going to destroy my child is both insulting to me and my religion.
In closing(lol) I don't care if others circumcise their boys, so why the heck do you care if mine is???
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-09-2011 - 4:34pm
Exactly! I had no idea that this was such a divisive issue. But it's really insulting to both the religious and cultural preferences of those who have circumsized their sons. (I'm 90% sure we're having Jasper circ-ed.) as well as the very real plight of women who experienced FGM. So ridiculous. Not sound like the hippie I am deep inside, but - can't we all just get along?
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-09-2011 - 5:08pm
Wow. Just WOW.

While I believe that girl has a right to her own opinion on the matter, I think jumping all over you for your choice is dead wrong.

I think it's a COMPLETELY different situation to circumcise a boy vs what they do to girls.

Now, I don't have a son so I don't know a LOT about circumcision, but I have to say, from what I've read, in NO way does circumcision of a boy interfere with his sex life in the future whereas I KNOW the female mutilation WILL interfere.

Sounds like some RUDE people on that FB post!!!
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-09-2011 - 6:40pm

Wow, really?! I cant believe someone would even say that the 2 are related! I believe it's a personal choice to circ or not and serious why anyone else would be concerned about my son's penis is beyond me. To each their own, ya know?! I would never jump down someones throat about circ'ing or not circ'ing, bc it's not my choice! The only choice I have regards my children, both living and future ones!

Sorry you were attacked like that! I hate when people do stupid things like that, especially on FB!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-09-2011 - 8:14pm
LOL, I wish we could all just get along! I think that there are serious abuse issues happening to children..this focus is beyond me. Sometimes I think that there are people who just love to attack others for their choices and they do it in a very hostile manner. Yeah, like that is going to make me want to see your viewpoint!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-09-2011 - 9:48pm

Well...I am having a boy and have been thinking about this.

Photobucket
Katie
mom to sophia
w
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-09-2011 - 10:05pm

Then don't do it:) I don't really care what other people do and to compare it to removal of a clitoris from a teenage girl is incredibly disgusting. Also, when performing a bris(a Jewish ceremony ) there is no board and no baby is strapped down to anything.

Also, as a Jew, I find it beyond wrong. The purpose of a Bris is to form a covenant with G-d. Something that was done first by Abraham. It is an incredibly important way for the baby boy to form that relationship with G-d. I find the incinuation that I am trying to hurt my baby incredibly insulting and offensive. Many of the 'articles' that say a circumcision is awful are biased, personaly I find them along the lines of the anti-vax crowd. While there may not be a need for the circumcision medically speaking, there is a need religiously and I resent anyone trying to take that from me or tell me my religion is wrong.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-10-2011 - 11:27am

Honestly I look at it as a person choice..some women do it for certain reasons and other choose not to for certain reasons..My sister is a so called "intactavist" and has disowned me and my sister for curcumcising our boys..Im glad there are ppl out there like me who see that its not right or wrong as a whole but more of a situational thing..My little sister went so far as to tell me that if I was having a boy she hoped I miscarried so I couldnt "butcher" him..well Im having a girl anyway but that has forever ruined any relationship I may have had with her..Oh and as for the reply about a baby being strapped to a board..I can't imagine why some hospitals would do that..My sons were both circumcised in the nursery(they a special room for it) where the parents can stand on the other side of the glass to(to make sure nothing unethical was done I imagine) and our sons were never even taken out of their little glass cribs..a sheet was placed under them and a small drape placed over the boy bits but it was far from a horror story..I don't believe either of my boys even cried..I guess its a difference of hospital..

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-10-2011 - 10:20pm
The main problem I have with that is that there are legitimate medical reasons for circumcision. I know in general, that good cleaning etc can be achieved in uncircumcized males as well. That said, I think there are valid arguments for both sides. I, personally, will circumcize any boys we have (I've read both sides but ultimately, I respect my husband's opinion that if we have a boy he should be circumcized).

There is NO legitimate reason for female circumcision...it has ZERO benefits. So, that's just freaking ridiculous. I can't stand when people think their way is the only way. If it's not a moral issue then doing it the way you feel is best is the best way for you and your family!! Period.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-11-2011 - 1:54pm
I totally agree with your comment regarding people thinking their way is the only way. I often wonder why anyone would go out of their way to make good parents feel like crap when there are SO MANY bad parents that really need to be addressed. Sheesh, leave the rest of us alone please!
Photobucket

Pages