Got my new toy today! My breast pump..LOL

iVillage Member
Got my new toy today! My breast pump..LOL
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 3:03pm

Hi ladies..I did finally make the decision to buy the Avent breast pump..There were several things affecting my decision..one being that I found it for half price online and another thing..the reviews..most of the ones Ive read were good..and after reading about these things for the last several months it seems like the right choice..also..the company I ordered it from offered a two yr replacement warranty for 15 dollars..I also figured that I could have rented one from the health dept but I know there are a limited number of them available and I'd rather save them for someone that really can't afford to buy one and since the Avent is a closed pump system(not hospital grade but the pump should be relatively untainted by my milk) I can give it to a friend when Im no longer using it or else keep it and continue pumping after I'm finished breastfeeding my daughter and donate the milk to the local milk bank or to the company that sends breastmilk to third world countries..It's a win win situation..I know I have several weeks before I need to think about it..but I couldnt help open it and see how it all goes together..LOL..Oh..and its not nearly as heavy or bulky as hospital grade pumps..LOL..Some reviews I read claim its heavy..I say this thing weighs about 2 lbs..3 max..and really isnt as loud as some made it out to be..And another nice thing..I can use the bottles I already have and they are compatible with the pump so I can pump right into her bottles..And no I havent used it yet..but I did plug it in and turn it on and play with the speed and suction mechanism and yes you really do have infinite control over both..I know Im turning this into a review of the avent pump but in case anyone else is thinking of buying one you really do seem to get what

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 4:12pm

I bought an Ameda Purely Yours. It got good reviews and seems like a good pump for a reasonable price. Plus, I hired a hospital grade Ameda with DD and liked it so I'm hoping this one is similar.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 4:15pm

IDK if this helps..but My WIC office here supplies the Ameda's..I believe the exact model you mentioned and they are highly recommended..

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 8:18pm

I have the Medela PIS and I've played with it a little bit already too! (not actually used it tho, just like what you did!) I had the Lansinoh Dbl Electric with DD and HATED it, but tried a PIS at the end of BFing/pumping and LOVED it so that's what I went with this time around!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-30-2011 - 1:49am
Just wondering, why can't you use the Medela?
I'm glad the Avent sounds like it'll work for you! Yay! I love new toys! LOL

I have the Medela PIS from my last pregnancy. It was super painful for me to use, but the pump was free with insurance and I really didn't stick it out very long :( I like to use the excuse that I was young and dumb and didn't have a great living situation (I lived at my parents house for the first 6 weeks of DD's life until DH and I got an apartment together - we were engaged at the time.)
This time, I just need some new pieces (which my local WIC office will supply! Yay!)

Is it weird that I'm SUPER excited to try breastfeeding again??? LOL
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-30-2011 - 1:17pm

I didnt care for the medela because it was loud and incredibly painful..and the ones the health dept provides are only single and not double pumps..and not to mention the ones covered by insurance are way to heavy for me to be transporting..So I did buy Avent..My only fear is that it too will be painful but I didnt want to be stuck with a newborn at home and no pump and have to end up giving her formula..IDK if its just me but I don't have what you call firm breasts..They did a lot of growing and stretching and when I lost some weight they deflated and Im afraid the pain is from the skin being pulled or something..Im hoping this works out because I really want to be able to do whats right for my daughter this time around..

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 8:30pm

It's so exciting when the "baby stuff" arrives!

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-02-2011 - 2:47am
As mungojim said, they sell different "cups" (hehe or "shields") sizes. I'd bring your pump to the hospital and have the LC take a look and make sure you're using the right size! I was planning on leaving my pump at home, but now that I think about it, I think I might bring it so that I can find out if wrong shield size was my problem first time around!!!!
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-02-2011 - 11:36am

Unfortunately the pump I did buy only has one shield size..its a standard size which never bothered me with my first pump(a hospital grade bailey)..But I do also know that theres a company..I forget whats it's called that makes breast shield adapter things thats are justl ike extra horns that fit right into the ones the pump already comes with...so I bought a set of those for like 30 dollars you get the whole set so I can be sur to get the right fit..Im also hoping that since with the avent you literally control the suction and speed by hand and then set the memory pumping won't be too uncomfortable.Thanks for all the good advice girls.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-02-2011 - 11:00pm

I have a Lansinoh from my DS. I was happy enough with it, never had any problems. I only ever pumped one side at a time, normally at my computer so I was able to do something while I milked myself. Gotta say, I was looking at a picture of one of the dual, free hands breast pumps the other day, and couldn't help but think of a milk cow.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I will be pumping this time around. I will definitely be nursing, but when my husband provides the baby with a bottle (however often that might end up being) we will probably just use formula. I don't know how I would manage the time to pump with two kids and a household to manage, and the storage was a hassle last time around. Feeding in general is really up in the air. DS recieved breastmilk almost exclusively (formula is a big hangup for me, less so now that it was with my DS, but still think breastmilk is best), completely rejected bottles by the time he was six months, and was in general a completely unhappy baby. He fed every 2 hours or less around the clock for the first 4 months. He was colicky and slept badly. I wonder if some of his discontent could be attributed to the quality or nature of my breastmilk. I know that I can't manage that sort of feeding schedule again. So if this baby is anything like my DS, we will definitely be improvising.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers