Having negative talk around you

iVillage Member
Having negative talk around you
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 1:50am

Hi everyone, hope all is going well with your pregnancies. I need your advice on this one.

I'm 28 weeks pregnant and me and my husband used to live 3 hours drive from family. We bought a moved to a new bigger home two months ago that is near (30 min. from them).

Since we moved, we have been hanging more with his family, especially his mom and her sister. Although I like them, they can be quite negative people, they're talking all the time about this person and that person that had a stroke, the other one that is sick, the other one's in the hospital, the other one that died, etc, etc. Most of them are people we don't even know who they are.

Because I'm more sensible than before, this can really get me down. Even this last Sunday we had lunch in a restaurant with his mom and on the drive to the restaurant she was already having those conversations, I just felt like doing a U turn and go home... sometimes I just want to shout something like "I don't give a f***"!

My husband also thinks it's too much, but he tolerates it because is her mother. I just feel like I want (and need) to step back from his family a bit until labour because I don't like or need that negative energy around me at this point in my pregnancy. That gets me down and I'm such a positive person! His mom (and sister) aren't even aware that they shouldn't have those conversations around a pregnant person! I need positive people and positive subjects around me, espceially now that my labour day is coming and I'm getting anxious!

So do you agree I should do what I feel like and just withdraw from them. I don't want my husband to do that too, but I prefer not to meet those people for now. Your advice would help me, thank you in advance!

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 7:55am

Yes!

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 8:06am

Thank you for your reply. My DH understands and supports me, he's also a positive person and doesn't like negative talking all the time. The other day he even joked with his mother saying he's gonna write her a list of keywords she's forbiden to say, like "sick" or "dead" or whatever. She didn't even understand why...

I guess I'll do just that, move away from those people for a while and even after the baby's born they can come and visit, but in small doses, like an hour or so and that's it. I don't even need that negativity around my baby or around me taking care of my baby. And they're people who like to give away opinions on how to do this or that, like they're always right and other's wrong. I don't need that when taking care of my daughter either.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 10:21am

I agree, you need to take a step back from them. That kind of negativity isnt good for anyone and especially not your unborn child! You dont need the added stress right now, so just tell your DH that you are going to take a break from it all and get things ready at the house or just chill and have an alone day, but he's more than welcome to go with them still if he wants!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 10:33am
kate122 wrote:

I agree, you need to take a step back from them. That kind of negativity isnt good for anyone and especially not your unborn child! You dont need the added stress right now, so just tell your DH that you are going to take a break from it all and get things ready at the house or just chill and have an alone day, but he's more than welcome to go with them still if he wants!