How much is too much $$ for baby gear?!

iVillage Member
How much is too much $$ for baby gear?!
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 2:24pm

Ok - since becoming a SAHM 2 years ago, budgeting is always on my mind.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 3:11pm

That sounds so frustrating!

~Jenn~

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 3:17pm

Honestly this is a constant battle at my house with my husband..He's always harping me about money..When i chose to breastfeed I mentioned needing a pump and he flipped a lid(why cant you just do it the old fashioned way) well honestly I'll have 5 children at home to take care of and its not ideal..Then there was the cloth diaper debate..Honestly..I purchased 15 on size pockets for when she gets big enough to wear them..and 2 dozen each of newborn prefolds and size one prefolds..Yes it adds up but in the long run it saves alot of money.I don't think men grasp how much a baby costs.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 3:34pm

Wow, Joanie!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 3:53pm

That's a frustrating attitude! I am also a SAHM now and being budget conscious is something I'm very aware of. In total, I think we've spent about £400 on stuff for this LO - but that includes a double stroller, car seat base, movement monitor, double electric breast pump, stash of CDs, plus outfits, bedding etc. If I hadn't shopped at thrift stores, garage sales and ebay, I'm sure that what we have would have cost us at least three times as much. When I was pg with DD, her travel system alone cost £500!

I think my DH would probably complain about the cost, too, if he knew exactly how much we'd spent. But, I had a part time job earlier this year (a fixed term contract) and I saved about half of what I got paid and used it to purchase most of our baby items.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 4:11pm
My dh is a SAHD, which has kind of made the situation flipped. I haven't really complained about money spent, but I think this has been a little eye opening for me. Like... he was asking the other day if we could buy another diaper genie for the 2nd floor, and I seriously looked at him like he was crazy. Maybe I need to think more about what is going to be best and easiest for caring for the baby at home during the day rather than what is the most cost effective.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 5:13pm

My DH is the same way! He scrutinizes me over EVERY thing!! Even more so now that I've been on bedrest for 6 weeks and I havent gotten my STD checks yet! I would do like Claire says and add up the cost of it all brand new and show him! Maybe it will put things into a better perspective for him!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 8:43am
I've spent maybe $100. $20 on a bassinet, $50 on a bunch of used gear, one outfit. Okay, maybe not even $100. It's depressing, but it's what we can afford right now. In the next few weeks I hope to buy a few more items, so maybe I'll get up to $150.

With my first we didn't overspend even though we had the money. I'm just not one to spend $300 on a crib, our crib was about $150 and we still have it and will use it for this baby.

Sounds like you are doing a good job though. Men are sometimes just grumpy about money.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 8:34pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with this.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 9:18pm
I'm sorry you are dealing with this:( I am lucky that DH is realistic about all we have to buy and we haven't had any issues. I hope yours gets resolved..I mean, the baby has to have these things!
Photobucket