Just curious: would going overdue bother you?

iVillage Member
Just curious: would going overdue bother you?
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 4:58am

When I had DD, I didn't want to go overdue mainly because my maternity leave started at 38 weeks and I didn't want to 'waste' it sitting around with no baby to look after! This time, I'm a SAHM so I really don't think going even a couple of weeks over would bother me. I guess I'm lucky that I seem to be doing pretty well physically this pregnancy (sleeping well, no pelvic pain, constipation or heartburn etc) and even when I was full term with DD (I gave birth naturally at 39 weeks) I wasn't hugely uncomfortable.

My m/w would let me go to 42 weeks without insisting on an induction as long as baby and I were both doing well. The only reason going way overdue would bother me is that I wouldn't like to be induced - it sounds really unpleasant to me. Plus, if I were induced, I couldn't have a homebirth. But other than that, I'm happy to let this LO cook as long as they want to!

What do you all think about going overdue?

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 6:49am
I was perfectly content to stay pregnant forever with DS...and he came 3 days early. It was a pretty easy pregnancy and while I didn't enjoy my swollen ankles, I felt fine. My OB wouldn't induce until at least 10 days overdue.
This time around I've had a pretty obnoxious pregnancy so I worry that I'm going to be anxious for it to end (I hope not though and that I can enjoy at least the end days). The only real reason I'm hoping this one comes on time is I'd like a September birthday since our October is packed full of family birthdays and our anniversary.
I am always surprised that at 37 weeks women start trying to kick start labor and start talking induction...I just feel like the babies should cook as long as possible (of course my tune may change come September).
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 8:08am
I personally got to experience both ways, DD was early and still a decent size 7lb 14oz. On the otherhand DS was 10 days over and was 9lb. I also didn't want to opt for induction unless absolutely needed. I did go into labor naturally with DS, NY contractions were diminishing!! So I choose to get an IV with pitocin. I had him an hour later. But, I hated the fact I was hooked up to an IV even for about an hour later. I like freedom and being hooked up to crap. This time my midwife is going to help my body early to make sure I don't go over. I am afraid if I go too far over this baby will be bigger than DS. And lets just say having an almost 10 lb baby naturally wasn't as "easy" as my 8lb baby!!! So, no I don't want to go over 40 weeks thus time, but if I do, I will survive :-)
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 8:09am
Oops, I missed the ozs on DS he was 9lbs 12ozs.
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 8:24am

Wow, you had an almost 10 lb baby naturally. Kudos to you! Did you go unmedicated? I had an unmed birth with DD, but she was only 6lb 11 oz which isn't huge.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 9:39am
I am very worried to go over my due date. They can not use pit with a VBAC and I want to be as natural as possible. I will risk out of my MW at 42 weeks. I was induced with my son at 39 weeks for no reason so I have no clue when or what the start of natural labor is like.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 9:41am
With DS, my due date was moved up a week when I switched OBs. I was induced at 40w3d by the "new" date, or 39w3d by the "old" date. I ended up with a c-section due to failure to progress. I've discussed VBAC with my OB, and I plan on letting baby girl stay put as long as she wants to avoid another c-section. I would like her to be here by 41 weeks as not to have to possibly schedule a c-section, but I'm ok with going until 42 weeks as long as she and I are healthy.