Meals that freeze well?

iVillage Member
Meals that freeze well?
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 4:14pm

I'm wanting to stock my freezer with meals that freeze well so supper time will be a bit easier right after I come home from the hospital.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 5:23pm

I've been wanting to do this too, so I'm hoping that someone has some other ideas as well! I asked on a recipe group that I'm apart of on FB and they told me soups, stews and chili's all freeze really well. Also alot of the girls make up a bunch of homemade spaghetti sauce and freeze it so they just have to cook noodles and defrost the sauce. Lasagna and mac and cheese are good for freezing too!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 5:30pm

I agree with Kate. When I had DD, I made chillis and stews for the freezer as well as some spaghetti sauces so all I (or DH) had to do was defrost them and cook the spaghetti. I didn't use any special recipe for any of them. I just cooked extra of what I was cooking anyway and put the extra portions in the freezer. I'll be doing the same this time.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 11:51pm

Have you ever heard of savingdinner.com? You do have to pay for the recipes but it's pretty reasonable. It has a ton of different menus including a whole bunch of freezer meals. It costs about $1 per recipe but also has a 'Big Bucket of Chicken' menu that has 35 recipes for $25. There is also hamburger, heart healthy, pork chop, crock cooker, and steak menus. It also has a 'menu mailer' service that you can get that emails you a weeks worth of menus, with a shopping list (makes meal planning so much easier!). I plan on getting some of the freezer meal recipe in the next few weeks and will gladly share them with you and anyone else who wants to try some. Here's a list of some of the available recipes:

From Volume 1:
1. Apple Chicken Breasts
2. Caribbean Chicken
3. Chicken Satay
4. Country Fried Chicken and Peppers
5. Way Easy Chicken Stir Fry

From Volume 2:
1. Far East Grillers
2. Red River Chicken
3. Summer in Vermont Chicken
4. Under the Tuscan Sun Chicken
5. Carolina Style Grilled Chicken

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 3:34pm

Also, for breakfast I know alot of people that freeze quiches or make up like scrambled eggs and add in different toppings and put it in a dixie cup and freeze them. We also do our own frozen waffles too. When we make waffles, I will just make a larger batch of waffle mix and cook them and let them cool while we're eating, then put them in a ziploc and toss them in the freezer. I havent tried french toast this way, but pancakes work pretty good too! That way I can toss them in the microwave or toaster and the kids still have a "home cooked" breakfast!

This isnt a freezer meal, but DH loves breakfast sandwiches! I use either a bagel or english muffin or whatever bread we have on hand and scramble an egg or 2 in a small round tupperware container for like 1min, then take it out put a slice of cheese and sometimes a slice of the pre cooked bacon or sausage on it and zap it for another min and voila! There's his breakfast sandwich!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 6:08pm

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/chicken_spaghet/

This is one of DHs favorite casseroles.

Photobucket