Medicated or Unmedicated Birth?

iVillage Member
Medicated or Unmedicated Birth?
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 10:17am

I keep going back and forth on trying for an un-medicated birth or just throwing in the towel and screaming "Dope me up asap!" I keep thinking that if I go unmedicated, then I really should have done something to prepare better... like a lamaze class or something. My main reason for wanting un-medicated is so I can still stand up and walk around. I remember with my son... I was a happy camper until I had to lie on my back with a bunch of monitors on. That seriously made it feel so much more painful and made me feel miserable. But then again, my last labor was 47 hours, and I don't think I can handle being in pain for that long again.

Are you doing medicated or unmedicated? If unmedicated, did you do any prep or classes, or how are you planning to manage pain? And, why are you choosing to do it one way or the other?

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 11:07am

I will be doing the unmedicated.

~Jenn~

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 12:13pm

I'm trying for unmedicated, but I'm not against an epidural if my labor doesn't progress as quickly as my others did.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 12:46pm

As of right now Im looking at a csection because of a baby stuck in breech position..But if I can delivery vaginally of course I'll attempt to go with no drugs..but Ive had one with and one without and I can you tell ya its purely situational..While my labor with the epidural was way more comfortable my second without was a lot easier..I do know women though that are in labor for days no meds and they finally take the epidural and dilate from 4 - 10 in a matter of an hr or two..Sometimes being able to relax helps labor progress so I'd say take it min by min...Childbirth classes can teach you some techniques to help manage breathing and such but they really arent going to change the pain..Don't let anyone else influence your decision though..do what you have to do..There is no wrong way..To put it simply labor hurts and not everyone has the same pain threshold.Good luck.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 3:28pm

If all goes well, I'll be having another unmedicated birth. I had an unmedicated birth with DD and it was amazing. I'm really hoping to repeat the experience. Because I've done it once, I'm reasonably confident I can do it again. I think unmed is better for both Mum and baby. Opiate painkillers cross the placenta and can make baby sleepy - which I don't want as I'd like BF to get off to the best possible start. I also don't like the idea of an epi. I find the idea of being numb from the waste down really unpleasant. Having said that, I do know I was lucky last time. I was only in active labor for 5 hours. Dealing for contractions for that long, knowing I was making good progress was one thing, but I'm not sure how I'll do if progress is slow and labor long this time.

I took classes when I was pg with DD. That was just 2 years ago so I've only taken a short 'refresher' course in natural childbirth this time.

Last time, I took natural childbirth classes which focused on breathing and different positions to try in order to ease the pain. I don't think you need to have taken a class to try either of these things effectively, however.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 4:06pm

My plan is to see how it goes.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 5:39pm

DS was unmedicated and DD I had an epidural. With DS, it wasnt by

Photobucket