Minor vent about school supply list

iVillage Member
Minor vent about school supply list
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 4:48pm

I totally get that funding is low for schools and teachers have to use some of their own money to buy supplies.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 5:13pm

I agree.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 5:41pm

I'm so upset about the cuts in the education budget that have caused such hardships in the public school classroom!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 6:56pm

My DS is starting Kindergarten this year and I was SO SO SO nervous about the school supply list. He's going to a magnet school, which is a public school, but the funding is different or something like that. He attended VPK (voluntary pre kindergarten) last year, which is free to all 4 year olds in FL. Anyways, after his school supply list last year I was scared about this year! Last year, his list was 2 pages long!! I spent SO much money on supplies and was a little appalled! I mean I understand we werent paying tuition or whatnot, but 2 pages long?! They went M-F 9-12:15 only! They did do a TON of arts and crafts and things, but then they were constantly asking for donations of more things and they did a ton of fundraisers and the scholastic book things as well, so I felt for the 15hrs a week my son was there it was ALOT! (That and the VPK is all governmently funded, so they get a set amount of money per child that is enrolled every month!)

Anyways, I was shocked to say the least when I got DS's supply list for kindergarten and there's only 12 things on it!! I'm wondering if we're going to get another list at orientation or what. I know my sister is going crazy with her twin's supply lists tho! Apparently, theirs are a little lengthly and they are going into 1st grade.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 8:44pm

We live in Mass. and the schools here more or less provided most of their supplies.

~Jenn~

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-15-2011 - 11:01pm

Oh I know..I got a list at the end of the yr of stuff my son will need for first grade..Ok..I get he needs crayons and pencils etc..But like you said..Dry erase markers? Lysol wipes and spray?5 boxes of tissue? Come on ppl..I literally think there are like 15 things on that list that i know are not going to be specific to my child..I'll do it because its required but Im also going to go broke with the twice monthly fundraisers they bring home and the field trips..ahhh..

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 1:14am

What always drove me insane about school supply lists - and mind you my DD isn't even in preschool yet until fall - but from when I was a kid, they always required you to buy all this crap and we never used half of it!!!

- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 11:15am

The things on the school supply list that really get me are since mine are older, they need to have a Jump Drive or whatever those little thingys are called and I have to buy book covers for all of their books. We've tried doing the paper bag trick and it doesn't work so well. And unless I pick them up at Walmart(when they have them once they're gone the book covers are never restocked) i end up going to Office Max and spending like $4 a cover. We never had to have book covers when I went to school. And Jump Drives? Well we won't go there cuz then I'd just be aging myself :-) LOL

And projects? Oh boy-I've spent soooo much on buying supplies to make projects out of its not even funny.I haven't even looked at the list yet for this year. Sales are starting though so guess I should get on it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 2:28pm
heh back in my school days we needed floppy disks. So I think my parents know what you are feeling. I never had a problem with the paperbag covers though. Maybe I was gentler (not saying you have kids that are breaking things left and right).

Lilypie - Personal picture