Obsessively feel the need to buy more stuff..

iVillage Member
Obsessively feel the need to buy more stuff..
Sun, 06-19-2011 - 3:35pm

Im feeling the insane urge to buy more and more baby stuff..I feel like this child is going to be born with nothing and I can't seem to put that worry to rest..I can't remember for the life of me how many of everything I need and when I happen to look it up the numbers seem ludicrously low..I know with my first son I got so much at my shower I don't think I purchased anything for him for almost a whole yr..But going in with this little one Im doing all the buying...I know Ive got about 15 outfits, few extra shirts and pants..8 longsleeve onsies, about 12-15 short sleeve onsies 10 pair of socks,4-6 sweaters, 4 pair of mitties, 4 pacifiers,10 burp cloths,8 washcloths,2 dozen newborn size cloth diapers, 6 newborn covers(will fit 4-12 lbs), also about 2 dozen prefold diapers in the next largest size and 5 covers(10-35 lbs) and 15 pocket diapers(im up in the air about selling them)..I do also have my bouncy seat, crib, floor gym. I still need to buy my car seat stroller combo, pack'n'play,crib sheets etc...Im just so frazzled..Ive done this twice before and and helped my sister do this 3 times now and i can't seem to get a grasp on what this little one needs..perhaps its just preggo brain or perhaps Im losing my mind completely but could anyone compile a small list of essentials that Im missing or forgetting..I just don't want sept to roll around and be completely unprepared..time seems to be flying this time around and I can't get ready fast enough..

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-19-2011 - 3:58pm
Carseat and diapers...those are the essentials lol.
You have A LOT of stuff if those are all newborn sizes. I guess it depends how much laundry you do. Personally, in newborn size I have about 5 sleep n plays, a few gowns, and 3 long sleeve onesies and 6-8 short sleeve onesies, 6 pairs of socks, and a few other random things. I have even less than that in 3 month size. My son was only 7lbs 2 oz and he still outgrew newborn size quite quickly, so I figure while this baby is in newborns, I'll shop the next size up...no need to get it all at once.
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-19-2011 - 4:06pm

actually I skipped newborn sizes altogether..I think I have like 3 sleepers in newborn size and thats it..My kids never wore them and this little one is promising to be even bigger so I went straight to 0-3 months..ecept for the diapers..

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-19-2011 - 4:14pm
Yeah, then that's not quite so much since they seem to hang out in that size awhile...but remember, you can still shop after she gets here :)
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2011 - 4:51am

I would just take a deep breath and try to relax about it a little. You have enough diapers and *plenty* of clothes. I would prioritize purchasing your stroller, carseat and pack 'n' play since those really are essentials. I'm always seeing long lists of 'must haves' in baby magazines and we didn't own half of them when we had DD and we managed just fine! As long as your LO has clothes, diapers, somewhere to sleep and a safe way to get from A to B, that is all you really need at this point.

And as PP has said, if you run out of clothes or suddenly remember a 'must have' purchase once your LO is here, you can always go shopping! :smileywink: Even if you don't feel comfortable taking a newborn out and about, your friends or DH can pick things up. And there's always online shopping!

There are tons of checklists online if you think that would help you. Here's one I found. I like that it's divided into categories. But, like anything, some Moms will buy far more than this, others far less.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2011 - 8:05am

I am sorry your feeling this way.

~Jenn~