OT: Child Support

iVillage Member
OT: Child Support
Thu, 05-12-2011 - 9:55am

Aaaaa! So, my ex-husband stopped paying child support in October basically. His employer refuses to respond to wage garnishment letters from the state attorney general's office, he doesn't respond to collection notices, and the attny gen's office is doing NOTHING. I keep talking with the enforcement folks and it's always... well, we have to send out another notice then wait 30 days, then after 20 million notices we will refer the case over to legal who will look it over to see if there is anything they can do, but they'll first call him employer a few times and call him to see why he's not paying. He doesn't wanna! He doesn't think he should have to! That's why people!

And the kicker... the ex-husband has filed for a modification of child support, which means that he is in contact with the attny generals office. Well, wouldn't these "conversations" on why he isn't paying a part of what they ask when they have him on the phone... They keep telling me, "maybe, but probably not."

Seriously?! What is wrong with the world that people think they acn go around having child, then be completely free of any responsibility to that child after the divorce. He doesn't use visitiation (thank god!) but still... it's your damn kid too.

I would happily file for abondonment/adoption to dh, but I have to wait until June 1st to even start filing that paperwork. What a loser.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-12-2011 - 10:12am

That's weird that the state keeps letting him and his employer get away with that. When my X got fired from his job, they took it out of his unemployment. Then when he started his new job, I got paperwork stating that his employer had changed and all that stuff. Although-his new emloyer didn't take support out of his check yet so I'm still waiting. Then like my DH owed back child support from when he moved to my state and couldn't find work. Well the back support was garnished right out of our tax return. I could've fought it but we got back enough that I told them to just go with it that way it wasn't hanging over our heads. I know there are some states that if support isn't bad, they issue warrants and the dads do jail time for failing to pay.

It just sucks that he refuses to step up to the plate and help support his kid. Sorry that you have to deal with all this.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-12-2011 - 10:21am
The child support stopped when he changed jobs. He refused to tell me where he was working, but I did a little cyber-stalking and it was pretty easy to find out. The OAG has known where the whole time, but just sends out notices to him and the work and nothing happens. The ex's last employer was bad about randomly skipping payments, so I routinely had conversations with their payroll department. Complain enough and you can get anything done, right? I emailed the new employer asking for contact information to their payroll person, since no one ever answers the phone there. Hopefully, if I'm the squeaky wheel again, something will happen, and if not... I'm filing for abandonment on June 1st. I'm pretty sure that won't forgive his back amount owed though. I really wish they would just put him in jail,... it's where he deserves to be anyways.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-12-2011 - 11:00am

I'll keep my FX'd for ya. Hopefully everything works out for the best.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-12-2011 - 1:00pm
Thanks. i just had an email exchange with the employer. Apparently the ex0husband has been telling them to disregard the letters from the attny gen's office because they have the wrong amount. And they believed him! Ugh.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-12-2011 - 1:19pm

I feel you!!! My ex changed job after job after job.. every 2 weeks he found another one. It got hold and fast.. well the attorney general didn't know what was what. But however my ex willingly he will pay child support out of his own pocket if they aren't taking it out of his check.. he never has been behind. But for this month theys tarted taking it out again but i haven't gotten a payment when I call they say they havent gotten on either.. but yet his paycheck CLEARLY says child support deductions.. so wheres the money going?? finally after MUCH argueing I got him to call his HQ and they had the wrong zip code.I'm soooo sorry but i hear if you stay on top of the Attorney General office.. hopefully after soo many complaints.. they'll finally take it back to court..even if its just mediation. In the mean time he's gonna owe you BACK child support for all the times hes been missing

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-12-2011 - 5:14pm

I know what you mean!

~Jenn~