OT: Child support is quickly becoming the bane of my existence.

iVillage Member
OT: Child support is quickly becoming the bane of my existence.
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 10:03am

I worked tirelessly for months and months and months to get everything straightened out and finally get child support coming in from my ex-husband. It took daily calls to the attorney general's office, emails back and forth to his employer and more stress than is neccessary. And, right when I was about to throw in to towel and file for abandonment... I get a check. And, then I get another check. I got lulled into a false sense of security that this might become a regular thing since the employer was seemingly on board after being threatened by the attorney general's office. I really thought that all that time and stress had paid off, and even though I was getting less than half of what I was supposed to... it was something.

And now... nothing again. When I called the attorney general's office... they said that the whole process of months and months of waiting period in between each letter sent out to my ex-husband would have to start over from scratch. I just really wish we didn't NEED that money, but we do. I wish somehow the employer or even my idiot ex-husband would somehow understand the importance of receiving child support. They seem to think it's money I'm going to use to go on a tropical vacation or something, instead of buying groceries. I want to take a picture of my empty fridge and my bank account with $0.47 in it, and see if maybe then they get it. I just really, really don't want to start the whole process over again from scratch, but I don't see anything else I can do. :( ITS SO FRUSTRATING!

iVillage Member

Sorry they're giving you such a hard time over this. I know where you're coming from with the frustration though. I think there needs to be tougher enforcement on it. Michigan doesn't seem to do much either because I had to make endless phone calls too when my ex had finally gone back to work to get support. The last call I had made to Friend of the Court here, they told me they had sent a letter to his employer threatening non-compliance. Well they waited til he had been working a month before they sent it. The system is a crock.

I hope things straighten out for you real soon, you don't need the extra added stress right now.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thank you. In Texas, there seems to be this endless string of letters they send out before bumping up to another group of people who send out another group of letters before bumping up to another group... it just goes on and on. But, the second even the smallest payment is made - the whole process starts right back over again. the office here just doesn't get... he works for a small company. The owner is in his early 20's and does the payroll. And, they are buddies. So, no - treats of non-compliance are kinda falling on deaf ears. I keep getting this push back from the attorney general's office, saying that the employer should be on the side of "right" and couldn't possibly be friends with on of the employees. Jeez. I think theyre use to dealing with large corporations.... I just need to vent because I feel like this is just another way my ex-husband is trying to hurt me and my son. :( We just can't get away from it no matter what we do.
iVillage Member
:( I'm sorry you are dealing with this again. I hope everything works out for you soon!