OT: DD has me at my wits end! HELP!!!

iVillage Member
OT: DD has me at my wits end! HELP!!!
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 10:20pm

I'm at my wits end. I don't even know what to DO about this anymore.... My DD turned 4 in April and she's been potty trained as far as peeing for quite a while now. She has very few accidents here and there when she tries to hold it for too long. She wakes up clean and dry every morning. She hasn't had a nighttime accident since she's been in underwear.

But the pooping is a WHOLE other story! It's like she stopped caring! She HAS gone poop on the toilet by herself, no trouble at all. Then she just stopped. She has had multiple poop accidents every day for too long to count now. We've tried a sticker chart, we've tried "potty cookies", we've done the timer, we've tried everything we can think of. Today we promised her a pet fish (because we won't let her have a pet ant! LOL) if she goes poop in the toilet.

So about 45 minutes ago she smelled like poop, I checked her underwear and she was clean. So I told her to go to the bathroom and try. She went pee but no poop. I told her we'd try again in about 15 minutes. Well.... she didn't make it that long. She pooped all over her underwear again (2nd time today) and I lost it. I didn't hit her or anything (except when she hit me I slapped her hand back) but I yelled at her for way longer than I should have, I couldn't help it, I just lost it. I made her go up to the bathroom and clean up her mess (including washing her underwear out in the bathtub - which we make her do every time) and then I cried and apologized for yelling and explained to her why I was so upset with her. I asked her if she'd even TRIED to go poop 10 minutes before and she said No. She says she KNOWS what it feels like when the poop is in her, but not what it feels like when it needs to come out.

I don't even know what to do anymore. Do I need to take her to a doctor or something? I've put her in a pullup for the night because I'm just so upset with her. And I think we're going back to the timer tomorrow - every 15 minutes she has to try. Does anyone have ANY advice for me? What can I do to make her WANT to try??? We've told her she's not going to get to go to school in the fall and she won't get to go to gymnastics class (which she REALLY wants to do so she can learn to do cartwheels) but nothing seems to motivate her to try. She doesn't even seem upset when it happens until we get mad at her.

- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 11:04pm

No advice but just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 7:29pm

When in doubt I always seek out books to help:

~Jenn~

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2011 - 12:35am
Thanks! I'll give the books a try!

DD wore a pullup for a whole day, ended up getting the start of a diaper rash because it's been soooo hot and sticky! So she's got some diaper rash cream on her "girly parts" - then this morning she said that she was going to hold in the poopies until she got to the toilet. Then had an accident :( So back to pull ups we went. She threw a fit and I had to take away all of her underwear to stop her from putting them on instead. She had another poopy accident in her pull-up then later.

Maybe the books will help though. I really don't want to have to buy another package of pullups :( We might have to use the generic ones we have if it comes to it... they're horrible though! lol
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2011 - 5:27am

(((HUGS))) to you!