Pacifiers?

iVillage Member
Pacifiers?
Thu, 08-04-2011 - 8:15am

Just curious who is planning on using pacifiers?

~Jenn~

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2011 - 8:46am
I'm not sure. DS wouldn't take a pacifier. Ever. If I do, I'll wait a few weeks so it doesn't interfere with breastfeeding. I don't have a plan for unexpected pacifier attachment lol.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2011 - 8:55am

We used pacifiers (binkies) with all three of our other children.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2011 - 11:25am

I'm planning on using pacifiers if David isn't a thumb sucker like his sister and will take one.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2011 - 1:49pm
With my son, the hospital gave us a soothie pacifier to use. It was popped in his mouth after they checked his agpar score. I used it occasionally for the first couple weeks, but he didn't really like it. I tried him out on a couple other types, but he just really didn't like any of them. so, he never really had one. On this one... probably won't use one.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2011 - 2:25pm

I fully intend to use a pacifier if necessary(after all babies like to suck)..My first son wouldnt take one and was super colicky..My second son loved his paci when he wasnt eating and was the calmest mellowist baby ever..My sister used a paci with her first and he didnt want to give it up..But I found a good remedy for it..Honestly we just cut the very end of the thing off with a pair of scissors and after taking it he was like "woah..somethings different and quit wanting it..it was not a big deal for him..Just an idea if anyone is having a hard time trying to decide wether to use a paci or not..Its easier to take away than a thumb..LOL..Good luck girls..we'll have to keep this discussion alive after the little babes get here.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2011 - 8:02pm

DS only took one for a short period of time within the first couple weeks. DD was the same way, until she started daycare last fall. All the kids in her class had binkies so she suddenly became obsessed with them! I was worried at first, but she actually just gave it up herself. I bought a pack of the GumDrop binkies to try with this LO. If she takes them fine, if not fine. I'm just not wanting to be a human pacifier all the time!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2011 - 9:41pm

I love them.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-05-2011 - 1:16am
I'm undecided. I don't have a paci at this time... I should probably go out and buy one though! lol

With my first, I started out saying "No! I will NOT give my child a pacifier!" because I was planning on breastfeeding and didn't want nipple confusion. Well, by the 3rd day or so my mom said "This child needs a pacifier. Go buy one." So I made a painful trip to Walgreens and bought about 6 different types because the only paci's we got as gifts were too big for her and blocked her nose so she couldn't breath!
As it was, we had trouble with latching (flat nipples) from the get go, and I used a nipple shield for a month before giving up on breastfeeding. So no nipple confusion.

I was very fortunate as well because at 11 months old she just STOPPED taking the paci. It fell out of her mouth one day, so I stuck it back in, and she spit it right back out. Never took another one.
Of course, now that she's 4 she's developed a habit of sucking on the neck of her shirt or shoving all of her fingers in her mouth! I can't say anything though because I was a sleeve/blanket sucker/chewer as a child!
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-05-2011 - 8:05am
I totally agree with mungojim! The more active and older my babies got I decreased the amount of paci time to just bedtime and both didn't have them past a year.
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-05-2011 - 8:43am
My son took one for maybe four months, my daughter refused (though I did try, many times, lol). I have a whole bag full of different ones and while I also don't want a paci-addict, I may try one of the baby shows signs of needing/wanting one.

Photobucket

Pages