Question for all the CD mama's

iVillage Member
Question for all the CD mama's
Fri, 08-05-2011 - 4:33pm

I have a question for all the cloth diapering mama's out there...Will you be Cloth diapering from birth..or will you start out with sposies? Im a bit torn about this actually..I mean..After all my research and reading I have decided I want to use cloth..for a million different reasons..but really do they wear NB size long enough to consider dropping the money on them?I did buy 2 dozen newborn prefolds and some nb size covers..The prefolds looks a little large so Im sure they'll have some growing room but am wondering if I should pick up some sposies just in case..or maybe wait until she gets here and see if I think I'll need them then...Anyone start CD in the hospital?How many cd's would you recommend? I know prefolds don't hold as much as a sposie or pockets or AIO's..I cant imagine ever going more than 2 days in between washings..And also..what kind of pail would you recommend to contain the smell?How about a wet bag for on the go? Im so new to this and only know one person who has cd'd before..

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-05-2011 - 5:58pm
I've never used cloth on a newborn. With my son we didn't start until 6 months because I wasn't aware/into cloth at the time. With my daughter it was just easier to use disposables until she fit into the one-size cloth we had on the small settings, and I believe I had some small pockets, but I didn't buy any newborn ones. This time around, I plan on using disposables again for at least a month, then when baby fits in our stretched-out one-sizes, I'll use those.

I used a pail for awhile and it stunk but many people don't have issues with them. I love my hanging wet bag for storage at home and travel wet bag for the diaper bag, they are by planet wise and really contain the smells.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-05-2011 - 7:42pm

I got the gDiapers New Baby Bundle which came with 12 NB diapers and 6 of their sz small. I also got 12 prefolds and 3 NB covers. The NB g's use their biodegradeable liners instead of cloth liners. We're planning on CDing as soon as we get home from the hospital. We will use the sposies that the hospital provides there and then use the rest of them up at home (or leave them there) and put a CD on her when we leave. I did pick up a pack of preemie sposies tho, just incase she comes a little earlier than we expect and even the NB CD's are too big for her.

I still have to get a big enough wetbag for the nursery, bc I hate diaper pails!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-05-2011 - 10:54pm

THanks so much for the reply..You girls have come to my rescue yet again..I have purchased 2 dozen prefolds and 6 covers that will truely fit a newborn..they are so small..LOL...I didnt go with the g-diapers because of the price..they are expensive and only fit so long..I do have 15 pocket diapers that are one size fits all and 2 dozen prefolds in the premium size which I believe fits 8-16 lbs and 6 one size fits all covers..so i should be ok for a while..I tend to have smaller babies and they don't gain weight nearly as fast as some..I don't think either of my boys were 20 lbs until they were a yr old so im hoping to get at least a few months out of the prefolds and covers I have..I know most ppl choose all in ones or pockets because they are easier but I look at the price and think I won't save much money on them so I bought a few of each..Surprisingly enough I tried my prefolds on my nephew to make sure I could put them on a squirmy baby and was amazed how easy it was..LOL..

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-06-2011 - 2:06pm
We will be starting when he is about 1 month..I did not buy any NB size CD's.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-06-2011 - 2:30pm

After doing all the research and talking to a bunch of you..I actually spoke to someone who CD'd right from birth..not a single sposie ever touched her baby..while that seems doable..I won't have access to a washer at the hospital and I cant imagine sitting there with a bag full of dirty cloth diapers and first thing when I get home having to wash..I'll use the sposies the hospital gives me then start using my CD's at home..or else pack just one for her to wear on her way home..I did buy a variety of differnt types..my fave being the prefolds(which is odd as theyre not quite as convenient..but still super easy)..I do believe I have my stash built up so I'll only have to buy an occasional diaper or two along the way..Now sept needs to hurry up and get here so we can all meet our little ones.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-06-2011 - 4:47pm

I have about 2 dozen NB CDs. I didn't use cloth from birth with DD, but I plan to this time. I have bought one small package of sopsies in newborn size 'just in case'

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-06-2011 - 10:07pm

Besides the gDiapers I have (which I only have NB and Smalls) I also have some Sunbaby diapers. They supposably go from birth to potty training, but IDK how they will work on a NB. I've used them on DD (when she will let me!) and havent had a leak or anything! And they have some really cute designs!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 8:47am
Hi there,

I wanted to share a link with you to the Diapering board here on iVillage. The board is another great place to find feedback about cloth diapering from mamas with a lot of experience. I'm sure the ladies there would love to hear from you if you have any other questions. Best of luck deciding on the best option for you and your situation!

Diapering- http://forums.ivillage.com/ivillage/?category.id=iv-ppdiapering

photo snowsiggy.png