Scared into having an epidural or going natural

iVillage Member
Scared into having an epidural or going natural
Wed, 08-17-2011 - 9:10pm

HI. I'm due August 25, so I am lurking from the August message board :)

It seems that whenever people talk about my L&D, they either try to scare me into getting an epidural OR going without meds. I can't take it anymore!! I'm going to try to do this naturally and if you know that's my plan, why would you want to scare me into something else? I don't need to be scared! I know it's going to hurt - obviously!!

Okay. Thanks for letting me vent.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-17-2011 - 10:14pm

I think I started off where your at now.

~Jenn~

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-17-2011 - 10:38pm

I am also lurking from the August board. I delivered my daughter last week but I wanted to tell you my amazing story!! I, like you, was very afraid to have a natural birth. BUT a week ago I delivered my little girl without any kind of pain med!!! I realize now that my body was made to birth my baby like that and the experience was more amazing than I could ever have imagined. I am lucky that I have a huge support system of family & friends who have done it naturally, but my advice to you would be to research and also understand that your body CAN handle it: ) After having 2 medicated births myself I am by no means dogging that route, just aware now how awesome it feels to do it with nothing: ) : )

Good luck!! And know whatever you choose is the right decision if it's what you are comfortable with.

~Crista~

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-17-2011 - 11:54pm
People always want to share their experiences with you, good or bad. There is nothing wrong with wanting to try for an unmedicated birth. You can always ask for pain relief if you find that you need it. Good luck!

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2011 - 3:15am

People like to talk about their births - and it makes a better 'story' if it's dramatic! You know yourself best and only you can decide what is best for you and your baby. I had an unmed birth with DD and am aiming for another one this time. It was a very positive experience. However, I know other Mums who have had an epi and have had great birth experiences, too! Do your research on your choices and then stick to your guns - how you decide to birth your baby is your business!

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2011 - 10:25am

Honestly Ive done one of each..while the epidural can make you more comfortable I found that my all natural birth progressed a lot faster..its entirely a personal decision and every woman tolerate pain differently..I can actually say that Ive seen when the epidural helps..and other times when it does not..Don't let anyone else's opinions hinder your decision..Some women seem to think that they are stronger or can have bragging rights by delivering all natural..Don't hold yourself to a standard..do what works for you..Good luck and you'll have to update us after LO gets here..

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2011 - 12:57pm
I remember people telling me I "couldn't do it" naturally the first time because I'm not a huge fan of pain...well it just made me want to do it naturally more and be even more disappointed when I "failed." I think the best way to approach it is to know all your options and have an open mind. Meaning, that you'll try your hardest to do it the way you "want" but that may not always be possible.

I ended up being put on pitocin because my contractions never started even though my water broke on its own. The nurse suggested immediately I get an epidural. I refused because I was determined to go natural...yeeeah well, I didn't progress AT ALL until I got my epidural- for that reason, I'm glad I did it...Pitocin is apparently not at all like "natural" labor anyway so I think in the end an epidural was the right choice in that situation...but I still felt like a bit of a "failure" because in the end I "couldn't do it." Years later, I feel much more at peace with it...

Having a birth "plan" is nice but I definitely learned that you can't always plan these things and you just kind of have to go with it. Try not to listen to other people because in the end- whatever happens- it's YOUR birth experience and it's going to be totally different than mine or X, Y, or Z's...

PS Just wait until after you have the baby...then everyone has advice or stories about why you should or shouldn't do this that or the other- everyone has an opinion and thinks you need to hear it lol
 BabyFruit Ticker