What will ya'll be doing with your other kids when you go into labor?

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-11-2011 - 11:10am

Neither DH or I have family or friends who are either nearby or who we would trust to watch ds, so we're looking for a baby sitter who would be "on-call" for when I would go into labor. I figured after that, dh would get ds and they would stay at home until I was released, but DH really wants to stay the first night with me and the baby, and then go back and forth between ds and me & baby, having time with ds there and time with him at this "on-call sitter." I think it's a good idea, but I have never heard of someone doing this before.

Is there any such protocol for this, or is it just weird? I'm thinking the sitter would only be needed for 2-4 days, depending on the hospital stay and length of labor. Would paying them like $100-150 be reasonable? We also want them to send some time to get to know our son beforehand, so he won't be completely out of sorts.

Pages

iVillage Member

My kids are a bit older, but my mom is coming here a week before I am due.

~Jenn~

iVillage Member

My mom has also super awesomely offered to come out for the month of September (OMG, I'm so grateful to her!) and my brother also lives across town.

iVillage Member

My MIL will watch DD. She lives an hour away though so if things move fast, we have several friends who are willing to step in until she gets there.

iVillage Member

MIL came over last time and watched DS since my water broke in the middle of the night. Now, she's literally like 2 streets away and has already called "dibs" on watching them when I'm in labor this time, so we will either drop them off on the way or she will come here if it's in the middle of the night again. I would honestly prefer that my dad and stepmom keep them tho so they wont come to the hospital again! But either way, we have family that is going to keep them while I'm in labor and then DH will stay with them and bring them to the hospital to visit while I'm there.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Our oldest is 16 so she will likely be babysitting until I deliver.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member

Your plan sounds good.

iVillage Member
That's really great that your neighbor is able and willing to pitch in. That's awesome! Unfortunately, we had to pull my son out of preschool a couple months ago due to money being so tight, and my dh is now (an absolutely amazing!) stay-at-home dad. So, it kinda leave us in a lurch. I contacted a couple people who used to watch my son occasionally, but one just had a baby last week, and the other I haven't seen in 6 months or so. I placed the ad and got a couple responses. There is one women who seems really nice and would have no problem being "on call." The hubby and I are hoping to arrange an interview soon and see how her kids and our son get along.

I've gotten a couple other responses, but nothing else as promising. And this women lives right between us and the hospital and is only wanted $20 per day or $80 for 5 days, but I'm not sure she understands fully with that quote what I'm asking - possibly to watch my kid for a couple days straight, especially if my labor goes the 47 hours it did with my son.
iVillage Member
I haven't discussed this very much yet... but I'm hoping that my parents can watch my daughter for the couple of days I'm in the hospital! My dad just retired last month so he SHOULD be available. Otherwise we can probably drop her off with the in-laws. Or, worst case scenario, my sister (though I'd like to avoid that since she's got 5 kids plus 2 step-kids plus they're both smokers.)

I think the amount you're talking about paying sounds reasonable.
Do you have any friends nearby who would be willing to help out?

Good luck with the meeting with that lady you found though! I hope it all works out for you!
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

iVillage Member
Luckily my parents moved out here right before our daughter was born, so they have the babysitting responsibilities. If not them, I'm sure one of our friends would take them.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

We're very fortunate to have several friends from church who live within a few miles of us who have said they would help us out with our girls.

Photobucket

Pages