Will you get newborn pictures done?

iVillage Member
Will you get newborn pictures done?
Wed, 06-29-2011 - 5:12pm

We didn't get any professional pictures done when DD was born (though we obviously took TONS ourselves LOL). This time, I'm considering it. Lots of friends have posted professional pictures of their LOs on FB and I have to say I think they mostly look adorable. I'm not a fan of newborns looking too posed though so I guess I'd have to research a photographer beforehand. Secondly, I'm a little worried that if we do go the professional route, DD might be upset later that we didn't do the same for her. Also, how long does a newborn photo shoot take? DD BF pretty much constantly and when she wasn't on my boob she was either sleeping or crying. None of those scenarios seems ideal for getting pictures done!

So what is everyone else planning to do? If you've had newborn pictures done before would you do it again? Why/why not?

Thanks!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-29-2011 - 5:53pm

We're doing it this time around. We wanted to with DD, but me and my sister did our own little mock photo shoot bc I didnt realize how fast photographers booked up! With DS we had some done around like 2 months I think. We also did the pics in the hospital for both DS and DD, but wont be doing it this time with Charlotte. (well we might have them taken and decide later if we want to buy them or not, since I get a hefty discount!) I booked my photographer back in March after I was out of the 1T! She's also doing our Family/Maternity pics in like 2 weeks! :) I'm super excited!!

BTW, my photographer sets aside a few hours for a NB session. She does them at her home in her studio (which thankfully is like a neighborhood over from me!) and she gives you all the breaks and stuff that you may need! She also sends out a helpful hints guide when you book with her! We're going to include the older kids too and get them done first and then DH will take them home while me and Charlotte finish her shoot!

I'm so excited!! (in case you cant tell!!)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-29-2011 - 5:53pm
We had newborn pics done last time with baby #5, and it was the first time we'd ever done that. And honestly, the only reason I did it was because a photographer woman approached me at Costco when I was very pg and offered to waive her sitting fee if I wanted to do pics w/in the first week after he was born. She said she didn't have many shoots with teeny tiny newborns, and really wanted to get some more in. So I took her up on it, and the pics turned out very sweet! I'm seriously considering doing it again when this little guy is born. The lady was very patient with Aidan being a newborn and needing to nurse, be rocked/settled, etc.

I never even thought of the older kids being jealous that we hadn't done professional pics for them, but I don't really think it would be an issue. I wouldn't let it keep me from doing it this time, anyway.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-29-2011 - 6:36pm

Our hospital does newborn pictures and you can order birth announcements through the company they use.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 10:11am
I actually had an AWESOME opportunity just pop up in regards to this!
I got let go from my job 2 days ago and one of my Facebook friends that I went to high school with saw and offered me a trade - she'll do maternity and newborn photos in exchange for me designing/setting up a website for her! SCORE! (I think I'm winning on the deal since I KNOW how much maternity/newborn shoots go for!)

With DD I didn't have any "professional" photos taken and I kinda regret it. I have photography training (have my AAS degree in it) but I don't have the set-up for it :( So, we've got some awesome shots of her but I never really did a good photoshoot of her until she was 1....

I'm going to include DD in both the maternity and newborn photos though so that she's a part of it. And if she asks later on why we didn't do the same thing for her, I'm going to tell her that I had a great offer to get them done this time and didn't pass it up.

If I didn't have this offer I'd do the newborn shots on my own (I still may do my own shoot at home just to get in the practice with a newborn!) but I was planning on doing maternity photos this time around and I regret not having them done last time :(

Oh, I just remembered, we do have professional pix of DD at just about 3 months - we had our engagement pix taken when she was 3 months old and had some taken with her in them as well :)
- Caroline

* Wife of Eric (July 28, 2007)

* Proud Mommy of Allison Kathleen (April 14, 2007)

* Expecting another BABY GIRL on September 16, 2011

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 6:26pm

A friend gifted us a picture package with our firstborn.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-01-2011 - 12:45am
I am undecided. We will probably wait a bit before getting them done. I mean, we'll take pics but I sometimes find the newborn pics creepy, when they are sleeping and in odd positions, lol. I know, I'm weird!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-01-2011 - 3:05pm
Probably not. We didn't get them done with DS, we just took a bunch ourselves. We got his first ones done when he was about 6 months, then 1, 2, and (soon) 3 years. We will probably do the same with baby girl.