Kelly (myangelbaby2001) - we are just (m

iVillage Member
Kelly (myangelbaby2001) - we are just (m
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 11:52pm
going to miss you in Kansas ... wouldn't that have been AWESOME to be able to meet??? We are in Kansas City, KS (not sure where that is in relation to Wichita) from 5/1 - 5/5. My Grandma's 90th birthday is 5/3, and we are having a HUGE party at a hotel for her. She has no idea all her kids & grandkids are flying in from all over the US for this weekend. She'll be stunned!

Any tips for travling on a plane with a VERY active blond-haired, blue-eyed little boy? What things did you bring for Matthew to play with on the plane? How did he entertain himself? Did you bring your car seat (if he had his own seat) or did he ride on your lap? Tucker has his own seat & I hate to lug the car seat with us, although I think it is safer & I know he'll be comfortable in it.

Please give me ANY air travel tips you can! Thanks! - Kelly (Mommy to Tucker, 18 mos old)

UVA 2010 siggie

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 10:22am
Ohh..I am sad that we won't be close to each other at the same time...but maybe someday we can meet up. My sister is moving to Birmingham(?), Alabama this summer. Where is that in relation to you??

Well Matthew didn't have his own seat on the flight from St. Louis to Minn. but from Minn to Calgary he did. It was so much easier when he had his own. But we did not use his carseat. Although, I think that would have been much easier because he knows that he HAS to sit there when we put him in it.

We took colors and a coloring book, TONS of snacks and his sippy cup!!! also a few of his favorite books, but the best thing was the MAGNA DOODLE!!!! We bought a travel size one that has the pen connected to it(so he couldn't drop it) and he did not see it until we were on the plane and he was starting to get restless. Then we pulled it out and he LOVED it so much. Also, a blanket because he got cold when he was trying to fall asleep and the ones on the plane are so itchy.

I think that the most important is probably the snacks! Oh and we gave him a dose of Tylenol about 20 minutes before we boarded the plane. It just relaxed him a bit. Another good tip was that instead of diapers for the plane ride use Pull-ups that way you don't have to lay them down to change them in that tiny bathroom. We just dressed Matthew in sweatpants so he was comfy and the pull-ups worked great.

Hope that helps!!

Kelly (mommy to Matthew, 16mos)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 11:19pm
WOW. Thanks for all the tips, Kelly. I am going to buy a Magna Doodle this weekend & hide it away for the plane ride and get some pull ups ... I never would've thought about that, but I remember having problems changing Tucker on the plane when he was 8 days old & only 21" long ... now that he is almost 3 foot & wriggly, that would be a REAL challenge!

I hope you have another good trip to Kansas this month! - Kelly (Mommy to Tucker, 18 mos old)

UVA 2010 siggie