2nd baby coming 2014

iVillage Member
2nd baby coming 2014
Fri, 08-16-2013 - 10:41pm

hi there... i was a frequen flyer here with my DD now almost 3. im 19 weeks with my second ivf baby. i had horrible latch issues with dd im a bigger girl and so is my chest. my nipples are also not very prominent but i wouldnt call them flat or inverted. i BF exclusively with the help of a shield for 6 months and then primarily pumped ( never did give her formula) bc at 6 months she was still nursing an hour on an hour off it was exhausting. I have PCOS and barely made it through as far as supply. is there anything i can do this time to make this a little easier this time im fearful i wont be able to put the time and effor into feeding with a toddler running around but really want to do this. im thankful a lactation center just opened a few miles from my house. is it ok to wear those cups ( they gave them to me in the hospital last time to make the nipple more prominent i forget what theyre called" before hand will it even help?

thanks in advance

taressa

Community Leader
Sat, 08-17-2013 - 6:49am

Taressa, it's great to see you back here again!! Congrats on your new little bean!

I'm glad to hear you're starting to think about this stuff now. Last time around, did you ever work in person with an IBCLC so have a thorough evaluation of your breasts and baby's mouth to make sure there wasn't something else going on like tongue tie? Did the LC ever have any thoughts on why it was taking baby so long to transfer milk? Is it an option to get in with an LC ASAP after the birth to make sure things are going well?

On the supply front, yes, PCOS can absolutely affect your supply unfortunately. Fortunately your body grows more milk-producing tissue with each pregnancy so a mom is less likely to encounter supply issues in subsequent pregnancies. Last time around, did you try any herbal boosters or medications to help? 

Do you remember what the cups were they gave you last time? Were they breast shells (http://www.target.com/p/medela-soft-shells-for-inverted-nipples/-/A-561213?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C561213&CPNG=Baby&kpid=561213&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=561213&gclid=CLmx5_6mhLkCFUyk4AodDHEAXw) or Supple Cups (http://supplecups.com/)  Research has shown breast shells may not be of much value but Supple Cups may be. In either case, it probably wouldn't be worthwhile until your 3rd trimester.

Thanks again for stopping by!

Dana

Photobucket