First timer with questions...

iVillage Member
First timer with questions...
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:24am
Hi there... I am a first timer, I had a son on February 26th. Since then, I've been exclusively breastfeeding. For the first 10 days, I found BFing extremely painful, but managed to get through it. It has gotten easier, but one month later, I am still experiencing pain, pretty much just as he latches on. It then goes away. I have checked his latch to make sure his lips are flayed and they are. He takes my whole areola. I am changing positions, but still. I can feel him biting down on my areola (not my nipple) and it hurts! My right breast hurts more than my left. To be honest, it is making me dread feeding him. Why is this still hurting me?

Also, I do not leak like I've read about. Even after several hours, I only leak a few drops, nothing a breast pad can't handle. I barely need to change them. I know that Danny is getting enough because he is gaining weight like a champ! My pediatrician is impressed... And I get him weighed often. Also, I can feel my breasts empty out. But because all the other ladies on my EC board always talk about their milk spraying out, etc, I feel that perhaps I have a faulty let down, and that is why Danny has to gum my breast so hard?

On another note, after I feed Danny, I often feel a dull ache in my breasts... almost like the milk replenishing itself... It kind of hurts too, particularly at night. Massage does not help. Does anyone else ever feel this? I never heard of this... I

I just want nursing to be the joyful experience I thought it would be... any advice is appreciated.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 3:24am
I had a similar situation, with the clamping. I think it's just something that they grow out of. Erica (now 5 months) always seemed to chew on my until she got a let down, and then nursed fine. My nipples were very sore as well, and I thought I had thrush (which you certainly might have). I treated for it three times and when that didn't do any good, I used Polysporin for a couple of days, and haven't had ANY pain since. It turned out my nipples were simply sore, and needed to heal fast. This was at 7 weeks.

If you do this, try to express and feed a bottle for 2 or 3 feedings to give your nipples a rest while they heal. The Polysporin should be wiped off before nursing (or pumping), and re-applied after.

As far as leaking or not, and whether you spray or drip, I don't think it matters. My supply is wonderful, and I only drip when I have a letdown. It's a fast drip, but certainly not a spray. And, like the other replies here, some people don't leak at all.

HTH

Joni

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:59am
I have a 6 month old and I had the same kind of discomfort you are describing at the beginning of nursing. I was told by a lactation consultant that it could very well be associated with let down, since it is only at the beggining of nursing and lasts a relatively short time. I had it for quite a long time, probably until my DS was about 2-3 months old, and then it went away, and BFing became absolutely pain/discomfort free.

As far as leaking goes, a lacatation consultant told me that leaking has nothing to do with how much milk you do or don't have, but has to do with the muscles in your breast/nipple area, I guess some women's muscles aren't as strong, that's why they have more leaking.

Good luck!

Steffie

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 9:22am
Your experiences sound identical to mine! I leaked a little, just for a few days with DS, with DD, not at all. It's so nice not to worry about breast pads!

My is DD 4.5 wks and it is still painful for her to latch on at first. I remember this with DS, too. It will get better. And, I have that achy feeling after bfing.

Don't realy have much advice, just want to let you know that what you describe sounds normal to me.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:46am
I think you might have a non-visual case of thrush. www.kellymom.com has lots of links on thrush so that you might be able to decide whether you have it.

As for the leaking? I leaked a lot with ds (and actually had supply problems) but with my 10wk old dd I never leak, even when engorged. I think it is dependent on the person and the baby. One of my LLL leaders had to use full cloth diapers with one of hers and didn't leak with the other.

I can't help you as to the clamping down and causing pain. But I don't think that if he were regularly clamping down that he would be able to nurse effectively and be gaining that much (but I'm no expert). Perhaps the thrush is causing the pain? Can you see an IBCLC? They can help you check the latch and decide whether that or thrush or something else may be the cause of your pain. Let me tell you, after nursing my ds for 30 months I can say that nursing should never cause "pain." I never had pain. I might have had discomfort from "tired" breasts and engorgement. With dd we have thrush and it has certainly caused pain!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:45am
I get that dull aching feeling after nursing too. I don't know what it is and I haven't been able to find any info either. I don't leak either -- sounds like we are both worring about the same things.