10.5months low diaper output?

iVillage Member
10.5months low diaper output?
Thu, 11-05-2009 - 1:54am
With this being my third you'd think I was a pro ;) I'm worried that my 10.5 month old isn't getting enough. It seems he might just be making the low end of required diaper output and even that i'm not always sure of cause it seems i barely have to change him. His diapers are almost always yellowish in color and haven't been clear in sometime yet. He is still very alert, meeting milestones, gaining weight slowly but still gaining. He seems to be shooting up more in height, but i really need to take him in and get him checked for sure as i haven't lately. He does mostly nurse off of only my right side and barely off my left (i'm extremely lopsided). He nurses about 4 times during the day and around 2-3 times at night. I have to say that Evan is my most difficult nurser too, highly distractable, i need toys for him to play with in order for him to not pop off the breast constantly, even in dim light). I'm not really sure he's getting enough but have a hard time getting him to stay at the breast for any amount of time. He used to hate the left side which is what has contributed it to not have as much milk. To be honest I'm not even sure what I want to do. I used to dream of nursing him till he weaned himself but have lowered that to nursing him till a year and slowly weaning him till he's 18months-ish).... I guess what i'm looking for is help to get him to intake more (i guess and also increase supply would help that one), how do i tell that he's getting enough with such low diapers? I do suspect that he sucks more than using his tongue to nurse because i rarely feel his tongue in action, but dont' really know that one for sure, but it doesn't quite feel like the other two did. I realize though that it's probably too late to fix his latch this late in the game. Sorry if this came off a bit scatterbrained, I was typing info as i remembered and though might be needed. (oh and he has solids twice a day, cereal in the morning, and meal/fruit in the evening with the occasional snack during the day. Thanks for any help!

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-05-2009 - 10:26am

How much other food is he eating?

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-05-2009 - 2:17pm

I would say that he's eating about 3 tablespoons of cereal in the morning and about a jars worth of food in the evening and no other liquids other than the water that i put in his cereal. I've tried to keep his solids on the low side because i know they'd cut into his intake at the breast. I have tried doing compressions but he doesn't seem to like my hand up there and keeps batting it away. I have started increasing the number of times i offer and that seems to help a little. I could start pumping my left side more and see how that helps. How often should I pump it to increase it's supply? Though I guess right now any more than what it's getting nursed off of is more than nothing and should help, I know my right sides makes plenty lol :)

As for diapers his morning diaper is plenty full and could equal two, the rest of the day i would say i can use 2 more diapers easily, though i change him probably one more time than that if he's even a little wet. I thought the sufficiently wet diaper was supposed to be 3tablespoons? but I will see what the difference is between the two so i can tell the difference. I also just bought some fenugreek so i will take that as well.

This is so weird to be dealing with, my other two were always soaking wet, or so it seemed. Evan has been my most difficult nurser being that he wouldn't nurse less than every 3 hours for his first couple months (he will now though), and that he always needs toys in order to be content to stay and nurse.

Thanks so much for your help :)