Remembering 9/11- Where were you?

Community Leader
Remembering 9/11- Where were you?
Fri, 09-09-2011 - 12:24pm

This Sunday marks the 10 year anniversary of the attacks on 9/11/01.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-10-2011 - 10:13am

I vividly remember the morning of 9/11.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-11-2011 - 2:03am
It's hard to believe it has been 10 years. I remember that morning clearly too. DH was working evenings at that time and had stayed home with Alex (he was just 1yo) while I ran Ben to preschool. When I came home, my friend called me and told me to turn the channel. Her kids are the same age and she knew I would never have anything but cartoons on at that point of the day.

We flipped the channel and were watching when the second plane hit. I can remember being in total shock and disbelief and then starting to cry when the second plane hit. At that point, nobody knew where it would end, how many more planes would be hijacked, what the targets were. Such a scary, scary morning. Then I was just glued to the TV all day watching as the plane hit the pentagon and the towers fell and all the replays over and over. I remember just feeling like we were waiting for more to keep happening and praying that nothing did.

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-12-2011 - 9:43am
I was 17 and had just started my first year at the local community college. I was home, asleep when my mom called and woke me up to tell me to turn on the TV. I turned it on just in time to see the plane hit the 2nd tower. I just sat there staring at the TV until I had to leave for my 1st class.
When I got to school, the commons area was completely packed because it was the only place that had a TV. It was packed and it was completely silent except for the newscaster on the TV. The first tower went down while I was in class, so I wasn't aware. We didn't do much in class (it was a First Aid class) but talk about what had happened and there was a man in my class from NYC that was very upset. When I got home, I immediately turned the TV back on and I remember seeing the videos of people jumping from the windows. What a horrible moment to face...fire or jumping to your death. That's one of the things that really stuck with me. I haven't tried to explain 9/11 to Sean yet because I don't think he's old enough to understand. He's never seen a large jet or a building taller than 4 stories!
I'd also like to share my DH's recount of that day which he posted on his FB wall:
Ten years ago today, I was a Senior in High School walking in to my second period Economics class. I walked in and only a few kids were in there with my teacher so far, all staring at the TV displaying images of a tall smoking building. I honestly thought they were watching a movie, which I found odd knowing the teacher. Once I discovered what had happened, or at least what little we knew in the beginning, the realization set in. My brother Andy lived mere blocks from the World Trade Center, actively traveling throughout NYC on his day to day business. Making things even worse, my Uncle Aubrey, a Colonel in the USAF worked at the Pentagon in DC. Those next several hours were extremely stressful as neither me or my parents were able to make contact with either one of them, not knowing if they were alive or dead. 9/11 touched my life in more than just one way, and I will never forget that feeling of helplessness, that I think our whole nation felt on that day. God bless those that died 10 years ago today and those that tried their best to save lives, thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-12-2011 - 4:56pm
How scary for your DH and his family! I pray they both survived the attacks and if not, I pray for his family's healing.